My audio has gone 'missing'

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SimonTS

My audio has gone 'missing'

Post by SimonTS »

I am following the 'incoming' repos and have my system working lovely, except that my audio refuses to redirect output to the headphones when I plug them in. I had exactly the same under Mint 10 (Main) and edited my /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf with the line
options snd-hda-intel model=,dell-vostro
which works perfectly.

Investigating under LMDE I decided to follow mads' guide to removing PulseAudio and replace it with ALSA - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60485

I have carried out the steps exactly as detailed and all looked good, so I rebooted.

I now have no audio at all. Although I have a volume control on my panel which I can adjust it makes no difference. If I try running any audio app it shows the audio as basically 'missing', and if I use my laptop 'hot-keys' to adjust the volume I get a greyed-out icon with no adjustment.

Any ideas? I though tI was doing the right thing in removing PulseAudio as I need to be able to get my headphone socket working, but this has thrown me a bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: My audio has gone 'missing'

Post by AlbertP »

If the snd-hda-intel and its model setting or codec are to blame, neither ALSA nor PulseAudio will be able to work correctly. Can't you use the same model on LMDE?
Last edited by AlbertP on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
SimonTS

Post by SimonTS »

I tried that same line with PuiseAudio and it made no difference - not surprisng really.

I then did the old 'kill PA and install ALSA' procedure to get no sound. If I add that line now and try to reboot then my entire system hangs at the log-on screen and I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds to get it back :shock:

Edit:-

For now I have reinstalled PulseAudio again so I have sound back on my system for the moment at least.
rjs

Post by rjs »

Yes. Indeed a few issues....

As to be expected with a relatively new opsys distro.

Currenly with one update lost audio. Looking into why here myself. There are a few breaks, audio being one, and I witness a couple others with packages as well. Report on them later after looking at audio. Just a plus one here on the reality of broken audio.

Another was the dist-upgrade, lost the network manager applet. It vanished. Found a thread on the broken software manager (hanging), resorted to reinstalling the previous package as mentioned. That worked.

Not bad at all for a first LMDE dist-upgrade with somewhere in the area of over 500 updated packages. Just a few things, a few bugs. But not bad at all. I truly expected far more issues than encountered.. :)

*rjs <- takes a break and lets the debian servers heal from the huge update pounding which he is rest assured will be on an updated LMDE dvd soon.

Good work LMDE team.

Return to “LMDE Archive”