How to make Triple boot system [solved]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
unni

How to make Triple boot system [solved]

Post by unni »

Hi friends,

I am having two hard disks. In the first hard disk windows and LMDE are installed in the primary partition.

Now I want to install Linux Mint 11 Katya in my second hard disk. I made ext4 and swap partitions.
But after installation only Linux Mint 11 and windows are displaying in the grub?

Can any one explain me how to install one linux OS to the existing dual boot system ?

Regards
Unni
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: How to make Triple boot system

Post by richyrich »

Have you browsed through the " HOW TO " section of Mint's forums ? And there may be a tutorial or two in the Community section too !
Gee7

Post by Gee7 »

Hello Unni

If you installed 3 operating systems and you can only see 2 at boot, perhaps this is because you did not update the Grub2 bootloader.

Open a terminal in your Linux System, and type:

$ sudo update-grub

When Grub has been updated, reboot your computer.

If you are using the Windows bootloader, then you will have to update that instead.
unni

Post by unni »

updated the grub. But due to some problems , system was not able to boot after selecting the os.
Using live cd I had recovered the old Grub.
I abandoned the plan for triple boot.
Thanks everyone for the help
SciFiDude79

Post by SciFiDude79 »

I've had this problem before, it has to do with the 2nd Linux system and Grub being installed on the 2nd HDD. If you haven't completely given up, you can try this:

Install Mint 11 on the 2nd HDD and, on the bottom of the partition selection screen, change the Grub installation directory to your / folder for Mint 11. Also, I wouldn't bother setting up a 2nd swap partition, LM11 should be able to use the LMDE swap partition, even if it's on a different HDD. After installing Mint 11 and installing Grub to its / partition, reboot into LMDE and run:

Code: Select all

sudo update-grub
Grub.cfg should be rewritten to include the LM11 install. I've had success doing this in the past.
unni

Post by unni »

Thanks a lot friends.
Triple boot is success now.

I installed LM11 on the primary partition & grub on of second HDD.
After that "sudo update-grub"

Now I am having 2 linux & 1 windows in 2 HDD.

God bless you all.

Return to “LMDE Archive”