[SOLVED] Nautilus NOT handling locations.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Jolinar

[SOLVED] Nautilus NOT handling locations.

Post by Jolinar »

Hi everyone,
I have a small problem,When I click on Computer icon on desktop I am getting message

Code: Select all

"Could not display Computer:///". Nautilus cannot handle "computer" locations.
I am also having the same problem with Network when Nautilus is open and click on Network in the left pane. Getting this error

"Could not display network:///". Nautilus cannot handle "network" locations.
I've also noticed for some reason my "Windows" drive [yes I have a dual boot Win7 & LMDE ;-) ] is not being found usually in my left pane in Nautilus I can see my Windows drive and double click and then enter my password to mount the drive. Just wondering if there is any reason this might be happening. I'm also using the new mintUpdate and updated using Update Pack 1. However even after the update pack was installed I was still able to access my Windows NTFS Drive and Access Computer from the desktop & access my network through network at present this is not so. Any help would be appreciated.

My System
Kernel: 2.6.38-2-amd64
HDD: 150GB
RAM: DDR2-800 6GB
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ 2GHz
GPU: nVidia 9500GT 1GB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Nautilus NOT handling locations.

Post by richyrich »

Linux is NOT Windows ! You want to add a launcher to the desktop.

http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

The second error:
I am also having the same problem with Network when Nautilus is open and click on Network in the left pane. Getting this error

Is usually caused by not having a package installed:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
I don't think that will fix the first error but you might want to install it and see what gets fixed and what doesn't.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Jolinar

Post by Jolinar »

@richyrich, thank you for stating the bleeding obvious! I've been using this distro since the release date in 201012.
Now if you have something useful to post I'll gladly read it! These links I'm referring to have been on my
desktop since the initial install!

richyrich wrote:Linux is NOT Windows ! You want to add a launcher to the desktop.

http://library.gnome.org/users/user-guide/stable/
Jolinar

Post by Jolinar »

@altair4, thank you for your suggestion, tried as qutoed and still no go!
In terminal after entering the command you suggested I get
gvfs-backends is already the newest version.
altair4 wrote:The second error:

Is usually caused by not having a package installed:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-backends
I don't think that will fix the first error but you might want to install it and see what gets fixed and what doesn't.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

last question, and I don't need a reply . . why didn't you include that relevant info in the first place ?

g'day
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Maybe you either don't have fuse installed or you are not a member of the fuse group:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
Unfortunately you will have to logout and login again for the group membership to take affect.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Jolinar

Post by Jolinar »

@altair4

thank you very much this seems to have fixed it, not sure how it broke to begin with.
altair4 wrote:Maybe you either don't have fuse installed or you are not a member of the fuse group:

sudo apt-get install gvfs-fuse
Then add yourself to the fuse group:

sudo gpasswd -a your-user-name fuse
Unfortunately you will have to logout and login again for the group membership to take affect.

Return to “LMDE Archive”