Auto login to second hard drive [ SOLVED ]

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Dar-es-Salaam

Auto login to second hard drive [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi All

I keep all my info on my second hard drive ( sdb ) and have to use my password to log on to it every time I use my computer. How do I set my computer to automatically login in to my secomd hard drive at startup / bootup when I switch my pc on :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ukbrian

Re: Auto login to second hard drive

Post by ukbrian »

I use a second HDD to store all my data on and I mount it in fstab so it appears as a folder "500-data" in my home dir using a line like this

Code: Select all

UUID=86443ABB443AADB5       /home/brian/500-data   ntfs-3g  defaults,uid=1000         0      0
Use "sudo blkid" to get the UUID of your drive and create a folder in your home dir as a folder must exist to make the link to.
My Data partition is NTFS you will have to adjust it if you use an EXT? partition.
rjs

Post by rjs »

This is done for security reasons amoungst others. You'll have to edit your mount points/drives in /etc/fstab. To see your mounted drives use "fdisk -l".
You'll need to create a mount point if it doesn't exist with your secondary drive within the /etc/fstab.

ex:
# /dev/sdb1 / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
UUID=biglongstring / ext4 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Your mount point for secondary drives is normally "/" , I would make sure you don't have any boot flags setup.

Once you have your drive listed in fstab you'll have your drive loaded and should not have to login
to mount it. You can use the "disk utility" under system tools to see the drive info as well.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You've been offered 2 different solutions based on how your partitions on the second drive are formatted. The options available for one format may not be applicable to the other so if you would like something more specific to your setup please post the output of the following commands:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null

mount
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
tompravi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tompravi »

I think the most easy solution is the application : disk-manager.
This app automatically edit the fstab file for you and all these you ask.
Dar-es-Salaam

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi altair4,

As requested here are the the results

/dev/sda1: UUID="a5a51c63-3681-4210-9abf-1ecb0bc1326a" TYPE="ext4"

/dev/sda2: UUID="9f9d1e4f-f855-4b60-afd6-c3f263440571" TYPE="swap"

/dev/sdb1: UUID="f2e60161-0462-4092-92a3-074599f5b233" TYPE="ext3"

/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro,user_xattr,commit=0)

tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,size=5242880,mode=755,size=5242880,mode=755)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=755,size=10%,mode=755)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,size=20%,mode=1777,size=20%,mode=1777)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620,gid=5,mode=620)

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)

cgroup on /dev/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,cpu)

/dev/sdb1 on /media/f2e60161-0462-4092-92a3-074599f5b233 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

The easiest solution for you is to install Desktop Manager as suggested by tompravi. This gives you a gui to manage your partitions/disks at boot.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

[1] Create a permanent home for your partition to live in:

sudo mkdir /media/Data
Note: If the mount point is in /media or in your /home directory Gnome will automatically place a mount icon on your desktop. If you prefere that not to happen you can place it somewhere else like: /mnt/Data or even /Data.

[2] Unmount the second drive either graphically or with this command:

sudo umount /media/f2e60161-0462-4092-92a3-074599f5b233
[3] Edit fstab as root:

gksu gedit /etc/fstab
[4] Add the following line to the end of fstab:

UUID=f2e60161-0462-4092-92a3-074599f5b233 /media/Data ext3 defaults,noatime 0 2
[5] Save fstab, exit gedit, and back in the terminal run the following command that will test for errors and mount the partition - no reboot is necessary:

sudo mount -a
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Dar-es-Salaam

Re: Auto login to second hard drive [ SOLVED ]

Post by Dar-es-Salaam »

Hi altair4 ,

Thanks for that. Perfect, it works a treat. That will save me having to keep telling my other half that she must open the other drive first which she keeps forgeting to do :D :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”