Is Linux Mint 11 buggy like Ubuntu 11.04?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jason_lee_91

Is Linux Mint 11 buggy like Ubuntu 11.04?

Post by jason_lee_91 »

So i just installed Mint 11 and I just love it
I dont know what it is but something about the Mint interface has always won me over
In terms of usability, intuitivness and such
So my question is Ive heard and found Ubuntu 11.04 to be a little bit buggy
Apps crash every now and then, people say compiling codes can lead to issues (which is a big problem for me as I am just starting to develop and I am hoping for a stable OS) and etc...
So I am wondering if anyone here has experienced issues with Mint 11?
Or should I stay with 10?
Any insight is much appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Is Linux Mint 11 buggy like Ubuntu 11.04?

Post by AlbertP »

The biggest Mint 11 problem is Compiz and here's the fix: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/how-to-d ... 86-in.html

Some Ubuntu 11.04 bugs are there, some aren't. It's known that the 2.6.38 kernel has some bugs; the only way to know if you're affected is by just testing Mint 11.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Mint-11 is based on Ubuntu 11.04 . . . exactly.
Except, that Mint has the Mint-specific tools and Apps added.
As well as, the Codecs add, as default.

Unfortunately, when you accept another distro as your base (be it Ubuntu or Debian) ... you take the good with the bad.
If Ubuntu has 'bugs' ... so will Mint. (until the Devs and Maintainers 'squash the bugs')

LinuxMint is Ubuntu done right . . . when and after the Devs/Maintainers fix the bugs. :lol:
If they didn't already catch them, when building Mint.

All Linux OS-distros have bugs, upon first release. Fact of Life.
The key is how persistent are the Devs and Maintainers in finding them and 'squashing' bugs ... and how quickly.
Just because a 'bug' is reported ... doesn't mean it hasn't been fixed already.
Often, a bug is fixed within hours (or days) after the report has been filed.

So, if Ubuntu or Mint had a bug upon release ... that bug is most likely long since fixed.

Same goes for the Kernel (as in 2.6.38) ... those bugs were fixed; and rather quickly, I might add.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

But Ubuntu have not yet included the fixed version of 2.6.38 in their repository. It's still 2.6.38-8.
jason_lee_91

Post by jason_lee_91 »

i supposed i will just try it haha
so i am kind of new to linux so this is gonna be a really weird question but i cant seem to find a place to start
how do i go about "contributing to the linux open source community" ?
haha i realize that this is teh most vauge question probably ever but whats the first thing i should look at?
i know alittle java, python, unix, html and php jsut some basics of higher level languages
what do i start learning now to try and help the linux community?
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If you want to help the Linux community, find a bug that seems easy to correct and look into the code of the affected piece of software, if you can correct it. If you've fixed the problem, you can look on the program's website how to submit patches.
jason_lee_91

Post by jason_lee_91 »

that is actually exactly the answer i was looking for
thanks for all ur help everyone
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Most of the Ubuntu-based distros, including Mint; as well as, many Open Source Apps. use the Launchpad Bug Tracking System ... to report, find, track and fix bugs.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/https://bugs.launchpad.net/

The bigger (or independent) Apps/Programs use their own 'bug' reporting and tracking systems.
Like Mozilla/Firefox, VLC, GIMP and Google have their own systems in place.
Checkout their respective websites or Forums.
Most all Linux OS-distros and OpenSource Apps have a Help-Forum.
jason_lee_91

Post by jason_lee_91 »

so its more than possible that people think these distros are buggy because they dont update their computers properly?
Sookster54

Post by Sookster54 »

I've used Mint since 8 and 9 seems to be the "sweet" spot, I sitll have 9 on my netbook, 10 (KDE) on my PC (as well as Mint Debian on another HDD) and just installed 11 on my other laptop and 11 is posing some problems that I'm burning the Mint 10 KDE DVD right now to reinstall that to it. Some issues like KDE not launching properly, chromium closing itself randomly, wrong keymap in tightvncserver, etc. It's starting to drive me crazy.

Oh and sshd just stopped working out of the blues...
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Sadly, I have not tried Mint-11. I use, both, LMDX and Mint-9 Fluxbox.

One of the Mint Devs posted this:
In my case, Mint 11 was definitely a step back. Ubuntu really made a mess of things and my nvidea graphics keep failing with the "drivers are installed but not in use" message . . . I experienced most of the issues mentioned about Mint 11 and they are from the changes Ubuntu made to make Unity work. There is only so much that Clem can do because of these changes and fortunately, many of our community members have found ways to work around these problems.

I wish the Ubuntu developers were more quality conscience but I have not seen any improvement in the area of quality for a long time. Clem and the rest of the Team care about the quality of what they release and I am hopeful . . . (this will) spare us some of the changes Ubuntu introduces . . .
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

vrkalak wrote:Often, a bug is fixed within hours (or days) after the report has been filed.

So, if Ubuntu or Mint had a bug upon release ... that bug is most likely long since fixed.
Ubuntu fixing bugs? :lol: This is the novelty of the month... :lol: :-P
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Here. I'm still not seeing all this bugginess in Ubuntu 11.04 that people are referring to. Guess I'm missing out on all the fun.
Robin

Post by Robin »

Xubuntu 11.04 had two minor bugs (not show-stoppers by any stretch) when I tested it... but it was Alpha at the time!

Like every Linux distro there is.... a lot depends on the hardware!
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

linuxviolin wrote:
vrkalak wrote:Often, a bug is fixed within hours (or days) after the report has been filed.

Ubuntu fixing bugs? :lol: This is the novelty of the month... :lol: :-P
That is such an obvious inflammatory and ridiculous statement. The Ubuntu folks fix bugs all the time.
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

I had issues with the 9.x version of Compiz in Mint 11 on my main desktop PC hardware. I downgraded to Compiz 8.x, and that solved the problem. I also installed the Liquorix 2.6.39-2 kernel. Since then all is running well. However based on these issues I opted to leave both my laptop, and HTPC on Mint 10, and won't bother upgrading them until Mint 12 rolls around.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

monkeyboy wrote:That is such an obvious inflammatory and ridiculous statement. The Ubuntu folks fix bugs all the time.
Of course, and fortunately, and this is why I had put smilies :D But I'm sorry, Ubuntu is also known for never fixing some bugs, or just say them as fixed when it's not really the case etc Btw, if you seek well you'll find many bugs *never* fixed version after version after version... But this must be probably consistent with the Ubuntu QA... :roll: Just one little example (sorry to quote myself):
As for those who believe Kubuntu 11.04 is the best KDE4 distro of the moment (I’ve read such an opinion): (...) Oh, and they never bothered to touch a grub-installer bug reported in March 2005. Would you choose such a distro?
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

As for those who believe Kubuntu 11.04 is the best KDE4 distro of the moment (I’ve read such an opinion): (...) Oh, and they never bothered to touch a grub-installer bug reported in March 2005. Would you choose such a distro?
[/quote]

Silly me I thought when you posted "Ubuntu fixing bugs? :lol: This is the novelty of the month... :lol: :-P" you actually meant what you posted including the LOL and RAZZ. KISS
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

They also say 'Fix Released' at the many bugs filed about floppy's in Gnome. It has been fixed upstream more than a year (and 2 udisks releases) ago, but in Mint 11 it still does not work.
thatsallurspaceships

Post by thatsallurspaceships »

There is a common problem with soundcards that aren't well supported. I mean just look at the frequency the drivers get updated. Found mine from year 2004.
Of course LM gave me Oooh Aaaah Moments when it configures the hardware before logged-in first time. No problems with hardware untill now. This saved me much time for several things. :)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”