Problems installing and running Mint 4.0

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

Problems installing and running Mint 4.0

Post by Guest »

Hi,

I've had a couple of problems installing and running Mint 4.0. The installation problems I fixed, but I wanted to let other people know what happened. The installation of Daryna appeared to work without any problems. It recognized and installed the correct driver for my HP F2120 (which Celena didn't) & the scanner worked (Yea!!). The first problem I found was when I tried to boot back into Windows. For some reason Grub had picked the wrong harddrive & partition as the Windows distribution. The entry for windows was as follows:

# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hdc1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd1,0)
savedefault
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

The fix was:
# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/hdc1
title Microsoft Windows XP Professional
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2GB ram
nVidia GEFORCE FX 5500
hd0 - 40GB ntfs Windows boot (/dev/hda1)
hd1,0 - 40GB ntfs Partition (/dev/hdd1)
hd1,1 - 10GB ext3 Linux Mint (/dev/hdd2 mounted as /)
hd1,2 - 2GB linux swap (/dev/hdd3)
hd2,0 - cdrom0 (/dev/hda1 mounted as /media/cdrom0)
hd3,0 - 16GB ext3 (/dev/hdb1 mounted as /home)

The other more serious problem I had was that it would frequently take up to 5 seconds to switch between windows. On celena this was instantaneous. On Daryna it was immediately noticable. I also had the system freeze on several occasions. The mouse would work, but nothing else would & I'd have to reboot. Because of this I've reverted back to Celena. The applications I was using was Firefox, Thunderbird, Firestarter, & the Second Life Client Viewer. Has anyone else had problems like this?

Mintgeezer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Problems installing and running Mint 4.0

Post by Husse »

I almost never get problems with my systems, and when I do they are really serious :lol:
So still not a single problem with Daryna (except for small things that are to be expected - extra steps to install the scanner and such)
I have seen reports that the menu freezes at times that's all
Can you give me a list of disks and partitions - the grub error seems really odd

Return to “Installation & Boot”