[SOLVED] Clock shifted by timezone value

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
bikrus

[SOLVED] Clock shifted by timezone value

Post by bikrus »

Hello!

I am new to LMDE. One of my problems is clock.
Every time I boot in - the clock is shifted back for 3 hours - my timezone is GMT-3.
If I don't touch it and reboot - the clock is shifted again. So, with 1 reboot I have -3 hours. With 2: -6, with 3: -9 hours and so on.
If PC is shutdowned and then powered on - same situation.
My bios clock is set to local time. I can't change it to UTC because of other OSes installed.
I set UTC=no in /etc/defaults/rcS.
Other OSes (Win7, Ubuntu) works correctly.

Please help. If I can provide any helpful information - please, tell me.

Thanks.

<Edit>Oh, sorry. My LMDE is based on "Linux Mint Debian Latest".</Edit>
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Clock shifted by timezone value

Post by xenopeek »

Instead of having Linux use local time, you can also switch Windows to use UTC: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... 0use%20UTC

And I suggest you install NTP to keep Linux time synchronized with internet servers. There is a front-end to NTP you can use to configure it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin
Then go to Menu -> Control Center -> Time and Date, unlock, and change Configuration to "Keep synchronized with Internet servers." You can add servers local to your country, look them up at http://www.pool.ntp.org.
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

Thanks, xenopeek for advices. But...
xenopeek wrote:Instead of having Linux use local time, you can also switch Windows to use UTC: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubunt ... 0use%20UTC
Why Ubuntu doesn't need it? Because it can work with bios local time.
I'll not change "outside world". I want to make LMDE to live by "outside rules". Sorry, this advice not for me.
xenopeek wrote:And I suggest you install NTP to keep Linux time synchronized with internet servers. There is a front-end to NTP you can use to configure it:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-time-admin
Then go to Menu -> Control Center -> Time and Date, unlock, and change Configuration to "Keep synchronized with Internet servers." You can add servers local to your country, look them up at http://www.pool.ntp.org.
I don't want NTP because I want to minimize network activity. Sorry, this advice is not for me too.

What I want - to understand is it bug or is it something else. Anybody could be in same situation. If I, with your good help, will find the answer - it will save time for other.

Anyway - thanks.

PS: I what to understand: why LMDE works incorrectly with bios local time, without NTP.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay :) Perhaps somebody else can help on UTC=no not working... That should work.
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

Solved!

When I was playing with USB automount I turned on "udev" service in "/usr/bin/services-admin". In my XFCE menu it is under "Menu -> System -> Services". This was the cause of my problem. After turning off this service in same way in "/usr/bin/services-admin" - everything is fine: Clock doesn't shift on reboot and my USB flash drive is still automounted - I think udev is started elsewhere. udevd still in "ps aux".
I investigated this by turning on VERBOSE messages for logging and turning on Boot logging.
So. The problem is solved for me. But why if I turn on "udev" in "/usr/bin/services-admin" the clock is shifted - is still a question.

Thanks everybody for advices. Still use LMDE with hope it will be great Rolling Release distribution.

Return to “LMDE Archive”