Fresh install: When to enable the new incoming/latest repos?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cdysthe

Fresh install: When to enable the new incoming/latest repos?

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

I'm about to install LMDE x64 on a laptop. When do I switch to the new incoming/latest repos? Do I wait until all updates from the original repos have completed, or do I switch it right away so that all updates are done from the new repos (I'll be using 'latest' for this laptop)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Fresh install: When to enable the new incoming/latest re

Post by tdockery97 »

Since the Latest/Incoming repos are a snapshot of the Debian Testing repos, at this point in time you should get the same result either way with a fresh install of LMDE. And either way it's going to be a LOT of updates. If you can wait another 2-6 weeks a new snapshot of LMDE should be out and would save a lot of headaches that must be solved when doing an update of 900 to 1,000 items.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I am doing the updates for a 'fresh' re-install of LMDE now.

I installed LMDE and added the new Mint-Debian "incoming: repros - straight away. Before doing the initial updates.

I'll let you know how this goes. :P
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

cdysthe wrote:Hi,

I'm about to install LMDE x64 on a laptop. When do I switch to the new incoming/latest repos? Do I wait until all updates from the original repos have completed, or do I switch it right away so that all updates are done from the new repos (I'll be using 'latest' for this laptop)?
this thread should give you a few answers, i hope.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76556

when should you switch repos? i advise you to do it before go through the big update, incoming/latest are snapshots of the debian repo but are frozen for about 2 weeks, if you update tho the debian repo and then switch, you will be ahead of the repo, so to say.

Return to “LMDE Archive”