Turn off login "ding"?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Turn off login "ding"?

Postby ander111 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:40 am

I have Sound Effects turned off (Sound Preferences > Sound theme > "No sounds"). And in the Login Screen settings, I've cleared the checkbox that says "Play login sound". However, I still get a high-pitched "bell" sound when Mint's log-in screen appears. Will you please tell me how to turn that off as well? Thanks.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Turn off login "ding"?

Postby lmintnewb on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:15 am

Don't quote me on this, been awhile since using Mint 10. Think in Control center under startup apps/progs icon. I believe one of the options and things you can disable from automatically starting is the Mint welcome screen or whatever it's called. Removing that from the list of startup progs/apps, may also get rid of the sound that's annoying you.
lmintnewb
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dougie on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:01 pm

This was driving me nuts until I found a solution, of sorts, amongst these tips and tricks. Instead of substituting a different sound file, I simply removed the sound file altogether. Whether this is going to lead to further problems down the line I don't know, but it's great to not have the ding dinging anymore. The steps were:

Enter the command
Code: Select all
gksu nautilus /usr/share/sounds/LinuxMint/stereo

Rename the original file desktop-login.ogg to destop-login-youcanthurtmeagain.ogg

hth

Dougie
dougie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby northcamel on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:54 am

northcamel
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Other topics