[Solved]Root Login

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
jk121960

[Solved]Root Login

Post by jk121960 »

HI, I have been using Mint since version 8 and love the distro, I wanted to try out Mint Debian but I cant get teh root login to work. I am testing on a VB VM and cant even access shares because they have to have root access. Yes I could you command line but what is the point of a GUI if I have to use console for everthing. If I build the machine I should have root access. Can someone please tell me how to accomplish this? and also I couldnt find a Katya Debian is that out yet?

thanks

--jerry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Root Login

Post by Fornhamfred »

I am running LMDE and my root password is the same as my user password. When installing LMDE although you are given the option to add a root password it does not accept it.

Can you use a terminal and just type in su, it will ask for your password. If your user password works then you are accessing root OK.
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

Thanks for the reply but...
Yes I can su the terminal but I want to use things like file management through the GUI and shares are root controlled. I use a command line for it all the time it defeats the use of the GUI. Also everytime I want to say like add software I have to login in, it reminds me of "Apologies" but as if I was in "Vista" I want control of my machine unfettered, that is why I like linux in the first place, I dont want to be protected from myself. Somebody please help?

thanks

--jerry
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

jk121960 wrote:Also everytime I want to say like add software I have to login in,
Really? I only have to do that once after I switch on my computer. E.g. when I start Nautilus as administrator for the first time, I enter the password and next time it just opens without any more queries. Same with Synaptic and several other tools and applications that use gksu instead of gksudo. Of course, I do allow the first occurence to save the password for the duration of the session.

If you still think you need to be able to log in as root, take a look at this thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... root+login
I couldnt find a Katya Debian is that out yet?
There's no such thing (and there never will be). LMDE is a rolling release. A respin of the current state will be available in the not too distant future: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1791
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

I really appreciate the responses and the help, and I understand that is is not advised but this is my personal machine and I have had my share of mishaps. One of the things I like about Linux is not being saved from myself. This is also the Debian not Ubuntu version (I have successfully enabled that root Grub) and I have tried to change the root password, I have tried to enable it the way that the articles indicated, but to no avail. Can someone (and I don't hold anyone responsible in anyway) please tell me how to enable the grub Login of root on Debian Mint?

thanks

--jerry
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

Did you actually do as alan_newbie suggested in the thread I mentioned (comment out those lines in the files /etc/pam.d/gdm3 and /etc/pam.d/gdm3-autologin)? Just out of curiosity I tried it myself and it works like a charm.
jk121960

Post by jk121960 »

My Apologies grizzler I must have skimmed right over that part, it worked beautifully!!

thanks very much for the repost to shake the dust out of my head.

--jerry

Return to “LMDE Archive”