Bootleg Question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heather2011

Bootleg Question

Post by heather2011 »

Can I legally download bootlegs in Linux Mint? I usually download concerts, TV interviews, and I was wondering if that's legal to do in Linux. Is downloading non-copyrighted bootlegs legal in Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ThistleWeb

Re: Bootleg Question

Post by ThistleWeb »

What you download is legal or illegal, not how, but yes you can do that in Linux. A bootleg would generally mean "illegal", as you either have the rights to distribute it, therefor it's official, or you don't therefor it's copyright infringement and illegal.
heather2011

Post by heather2011 »

Two of the bootlegs that I want to download, are:

Billy Idol July 8 2006 Exit Festival (video)
Billy Idol June 5 2005 Rock Am Ring (video)

Are those legal to download? I don't think that they are copyrighted. Thankyou.
colyn

Re: Re: Bootleg Question

Post by colyn »

heather2011 wrote:Can I legally download bootlegs in Linux Mint? I usually download concerts, TV interviews, and I was wondering if that's legal to do in Linux. Is downloading non-copyrighted bootlegs legal in Linux?
Downloading bootlegged files with any OS is illegal. You can be prosecuted if caught.

Simply put it is theft no matter what OS is used..

Sent from my HTC Inspire using Tapatalk
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I don't know about songs, but books used to have a 50yr copyright.

Truthfully if you would sing the song yourself and put it on YouTube it would still be copyright infringement.
Scanning the sheet music would be also.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

heather2011 wrote:Can I legally download bootlegs in Linux Mint? I usually download concerts, TV interviews, and I was wondering if that's legal to do in Linux. Is downloading non-copyrighted bootlegs legal in Linux?
What ever you did in Windows or Mac you can do in Linux :) The same copyright apply-If it was not legal with Windows the same in Linux, If you have been using P2P software it might be a little safer in Linux,Most of the bad stuff only works in Windows(.exe,autorun) That Said :!: Is it Legal NO NO NO :!:
dagon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by dagon »

Copyright is a never ending story. Basically if you do something and put it on the net you have the legal right to it. Period... Unless you write a clear message that you put it in the "Public Domain". Then Disney can download what you did and sell it and possibly not even credit you for it and it would be legal.
In some fields the copyright time is rather short. Like in electronics. After some twelve years on the market you can pick your famous-brand-cdplayer apart and use what you learn to construct a new one... But you can't copy the name of the machine or logotypes or things like that. Only how it works technically.
wyrdoak wrote:I don't know about songs, but books used to have a 50yr copyright.
That's 50 years after the author died. Now in most countries I think it's some 70 years. Unless the author/creator is a company. Then it's 50 years after the piece of art is produced. Kind of. Like a movie...
http://portal.robcol.k12.tr/Default.aspx?pgID=131
http://www.publicdomaintorrents.net
Because the copyright laws change from time to time there are movies out there that are more or less in the public domain because the company who produced it didn't follow the correct procedure to protect it or something like that. That's why some movies that are "free" are rather young. Someone at the office forget to put a copyright marki in there somewhere or didn't register it at the right instance at the right time signing the right form... Copyright is a jungle. There's a reason for jokes about lawyers.
Truthfully if you would sing the song yourself and put it on YouTube it would still be copyright infringement.
Yep.

Anyway. What you did was not a legally correct thing to do. Period.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Fan made recordings of performances would still come under the illegal heading, as the fans who made them and released them to share with other fans do not have the distribution rights for those songs. Thankfully most artists are savy enough to know this is fans promoting what they love with other fans and don't do the whole DMCA takedown bully act, although their labels likely will as the labels couldn't give a hoot about the fans.

Stuff on YouTube is about revenue, if you're gonna watch a performance of that song, they'd rather you watch it on their official channels, where they get the page hits, data mined info that you visited them, what else you visited, and target ads towards you. It's also about quality control, if they have professionally recorded versions from different concerts, they ensure you enjoy it in professional quality.

The entertainment mafia, who almost all of the major artists are signed to are clueless about the internet, sharing, fans, community etc They also wrongly call copyright infringement "theft", use their own studies with a preset outcome to show all sorts of bogus and often debunked "facts", to lobby govts into changing laws to protect theit outdated business models. They want the ability to seize domains themselves, who they deem are "stealing from them" with no legal due process, right now their employees are doing that with official govt employee ICE badges on, with little in the way of legal due process.
heather2011

Post by heather2011 »

Is trading bootlegs legal? What about liberated bootlegs? Can I legally download TV Appearances interviews from youtube only?
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

If you don't have the distribution rights to it, it's illegal. Tv performances are copyrighted by the TV show that made them. Lady Gaga had her performances removed after the Japanese TV show she did them on complained, since they are the owners of that performance. Sen McCain had parts of his election campaign TV debate removed because the TV network owened the copyrights.

I have no idea what you mean by "liberated bootlegs". It's either official or it's not. There's nothing stopping you from doing these things on Windows, OSX or Linux, we're just saying it's not legal on any platform, so if you do it, be prepared to face the music if you're sloppy and get caught.

Common sense means you're a fan sharing what you love with other fans, Lawyers don't see it that way, neither do their paymasters at the head of the industry, they see those same acts as stealing from them.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”