Installed Modem Driver, Now Sound Works?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smashbadger
Level 1
Level 1

Installed Modem Driver, Now Sound Works?

Post by smashbadger »

Hello,

Just installed a fresh copy of Daryna on my Dell Vostro 1500. Now I expected the sound and modem not to work initially(Intel HDA and Conextent D330 respectivly). Anyway, I downloaded the conextent modem driver from the linuxant.org website. After a install and few reboots, my modem /and/ my sound worked! I was expecting a kernel or ALSA recompile to get the sound up and running. I'm new to linux, could someone explain to me how this happened? :>

Thanks greatly,

-smashbadger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Installed Modem Driver, Now Sound Works?

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint smashbadger
You are right that modem and sound sometimes are interlinked.
The rest is magic - no seriously there are drivers for AC97 by default and that's all that's needed mostly
(but Intel HDA.....)
FrozenFoxZX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FrozenFoxZX »

Hehe yes. Some very strange things can happen that seem to be completely unrelated in linux.

For an amusing example of my own if you're bored, read some of this thread / 2 posts I made when I was using other distros a looong time ago. Specifically, my 2nd post since the first is mostly a description of the problem.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?opti ... #msg159432
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

I have seen laptops that used a flip flop switch for modem and sound so you could either have sound or use the modem. :lol:
so when you used your modem your sound appeared to be broken... :twisted:

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
smashbadger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by smashbadger »

Thanks for the tips!

Apparently when you do install the modem driver it uses another set of modules than the stock ones (which apparently didn't work initially). Dell has apparently released an updated driver for their laptops over here (http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Ub ... dem_Driver). However once I install it, it breaks my sound with a hda device not detected message :< I checked to see if I have any backports installed and I do not. I previously had the latest modem driver off linuxant running with sound, and before installing this one from dell I completely removed the 'old' driver through the package manager. Also in an unrelated issue, is there anyway to get that little network icon in the bottom right of the screen to display when I'm connected? wvdial is working great but I wouldn't mind using that. Thanks again for any help.

-smashbadger

Return to “Sound”