"Window Menu" Problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
agm8036

"Window Menu" Problem

Post by agm8036 »

Hello all,

At the onset...
Linux Mint 11 is my first foray into the Linux world and I'm new to this Forum. Overall, the initial installation went well. It wasn't flawless but with some google searches I was able to battle through the issues. Incidentally, the issues were definitely "user" related and not Linux Mint development related.

I've been using the product for about a week and I have come to realize that with some playing around, anything that I did in Windows I will soon be able to do in Linux Mint. Believe me, credit for this should go to the Linux Mint Development Team and application Programmers out there and not to any computer knowledge that I have. I have a HUGE learning curve and hopefully, I can get to a point where an error message window doesn't give me heart palpitations! :)

At this time, I am seeking help for what I hope is a simple problem. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been able to figure it out.

THE PROBLEM
============
When I have a window open, any window, there is a down arrow in the upper left hand corner. When I mouse over it, it displays "Window Menu" (I think). When this arrow is showing in the upper left corner, the minimize, maximize and close window buttons appear in the upper right hand corner of the window.

Something I do, I can't say what, makes this arrow go away as well as the minimize, maximize and close window buttons in the upper right hand corner. The only thing that will bring them back is a reboot. Well, that WAS true until the last time they disappeared. Now even a reboot won't bring 'em back.

I've looked through "Options" on several windows within Linux to no avail. I've searched google and this forum; however, the terms are too common to come up with anything viable.

Hopefully I'm not being too optimistic in thinking that there is an easy fix with a click, or two, of the mouse.

Thanks in advance - Tony
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mahuhu

Re: "Window Menu" Problem

Post by mahuhu »

Hey
this is quite a common problem with heaps of posts about it theres one here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ns#p449297
and if you type minimize icons in the search box you will probably come up with heaps more answers if that doesn't work

good luck hope this helps
agm8036

Post by agm8036 »

Thanks for the response.

The thread to the link you provided talks about CompizConfig. This tickled my memory in that I remember playing with that right before I permanently lost the "Window Menu" feature.

With your help, I'm at least able to realize the correlation between CompizConfig and window behavior. I'm not saying I understand it - just that I realize it's there. :roll:

Thanks again.
macfflei

Post by macfflei »

I had the exact same problem. If you go in to preferences and set it back to default (as it was before any changes) it should cure the problem. Mine is ok now :)
jpraveenkumar88

Post by jpraveenkumar88 »

Hi even i am having the same problem.. Once i click that window menu button then i am not able to see the that bar, where am loosing close,minimize,maximize buttons.. Then i have to restart then only i can get those buttons back..

I am not getting option to resolve this issue.. Even i am unable to hide this window menu button.. Everyday looking on this issue in internet.. If some one have solution pls share guys..

Return to “Software & Applications”