Which folder to install to??

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hello manishk,
I guess there is no folder like windows' Program Files , but it doesn't matter much. I put my .exe files and setup ones in my Home folder.
But we can make a Program Files folder of our own inside Home and store our .exe files or anything else we want, in it.

Besides, if we were wise enough to create a /home partition during installation,
our Home folder will always be there safe and untouched when we do an upgrade.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I usually install everything through the repository, but when I can't I usually put it in /opt.

I think some people like to use /usr/local.

Also, if you want to put things in your home folder without cluttering it, you can create hidden directories by prefixing them with a dot.

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Hi everybody,
May I ask what happens to the /usr/local or /opt when I do a fresh installation by deleting the root partition? I know that the / home folder is not affected in this case. :)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

It all depends on your partitioning. The same way you give a separate partition to /home you can give one to /usr/local or to /opt

Clem
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

OK, thanks Clem.
That's good to know.

Return to “Other topics”