Login asks for user/password over and over again

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iliketurtles2000

Login asks for user/password over and over again

Post by iliketurtles2000 »

When I try to log-in to Mint LXDE 10, the screen just switches back and forth between asking me for 'user' and 'password'.

Booting from my usb works fine, but then since I installed onto my hard drive, I haven't been able to get in.

I've tried reinstalling, and got the same problem.

I've looked around at all kinds of solutions on the forum and google, including

-modifying the /etc/xdg/lxdm/lxdm.conf to uncomment autologin and session (didn't do anything).

-ctrl alt f1ing to terminal, logging in as root, then rebooting (didn't do anything).

-startx from console. it appears to already be running.

-disabling pcmanfm through /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

-logging in with any variant of user:Mint or user:mint and password:Null or password:mint

-booting into recovery mode and installing updates

I don't think my hardware is super old:
amd turion 64 1.58 ghz 896MB RAM

I've had zero success, which is very disappointing because I've heard so much about how great linux is, but so far have only wasted hours trying to get it to work. :(

Welll... back to XP for now, I guess :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ahivarn

Re: Login asks for user/password over and over again

Post by ahivarn »

Dear friend;

this is not new to you and happens to many new users.. You might have forgotten user name and password.. I would ask you to use gnome Mint.. Mint is basically gnome Ubuntu and works best as thus.. Still perplexing situation.. Can you elaborate whats your username and what error is shown

amit
Habitual

Re: Login asks for user/password over and over again

Post by Habitual »

re: "ctrl alt f1ing to terminal, logging in as root..." if that is successful, try logging in as yourself instead of root.
if that fails, login as root at console and type

Code: Select all

passwd <yourusername>
Check the CapsLock indicator before typing in new password.
Enter new password twice, ( it will NOT be echo'd to the screen).

Reboot. login as yourusername

Please let us know...

Return to “Installation & Boot”