Hello, something interesting I found out about wine and mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lafferin

Hello, something interesting I found out about wine and mint

Post by lafferin »

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum, but I have been using linux mint for about a year. I switched back and forth between windows and mint, and the main reason is running windows applications, especially games.

A few days ago I installed mint 11, dvd version and tried to run Worms 4 Mayhem on it, but it hanged on the loading screen. I then installed the CD version for the fun of it, and miraculously, it worked! Then something got screwed up, and it stopped working. It took me 2 days to figure out what the problem was... guess what? Its the linux mint codecs pack! With the codecs installed, it won't run!!!

I'm not so good at debugging such stuff, so I did it the hard way... reinstalled mint a dozen times, both CD (a remastersys backup version, that already had codecs installed) and the DVD version, and the LXDE version once (that one didn't work as well). I also removed alsa drivers and installed oss4 after I noticed that the game would run if you disable the sound in wineconfig. Now I did a fresh CD install and it works, with sound on.

The reason I'm posting this here is that I'm a newbie to the forum and I don't know where to direct it or if it was already a known issue, but I had to point out that mint's codecs might have some compatibility issues with some windows software running on linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hello, something interesting I found out about wine and

Post by tdockery97 »

Well lafferin, you did introduce yourself, so I guess I can't spank you for posting in this topic :lol:

Welcome to the Forums.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello lafferin,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355
Your question would be best posted in Multimedia & Codecs
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=48
The-Wizard

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums lafferin!

Cheers.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”