fluxbox over xfce

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

fluxbox over xfce

Postby sjonesy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:13 am

wasnt sure where this should go,
recently i installed flux over xfce mint 9 and I must say I'm impressed with the results, the only issue i had was getting tint2 to run at startup, which I have since solved.
Think I got an affinity for right clicking everything, love the menu layout as well.
If I understand the blurbs, it looks as though this idea wouldnt work with lxde as there are conflicting packages, though Im not as impressed with openbox, that will work with lxde.
sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: fluxbox over xfce

Postby vrkalak on Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:54 am

There is already a Mint-9 Fluxbox editiion. :D Even better, than installing Fluxbox over Xfce.

But, either way it works . . . I personally, enjoy Fluxbox better than Openbox.
Fluxbox is easier to use and configure and with more features, too.

I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will. :lol:
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby hinto on Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:56 pm

vrkalak wrote:...
I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will. :lol:

That rules KDE4 out (if I'm not mistaken). ;) I came to Gnome when KDE hit v 4 and got hooked on the right-click "open terminal here" that I can do with Gnome.
[edit]
or XFCE (so as to stay on topic)
-H
Last edited by hinto on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What brought me to Debian was one-stop shopping.
What brought me to SID was apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade.
hinto
Level 6
Level 6

Postby viking777 on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:44 pm

I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it vrkalak :D . It just makes everything you do so easy. Not only that, but it doesn't matter how much damage is done to KDE, Gnome or Ubuntu by drug crazed developers, you can just laugh about it all and go on enjoying your computer instead of fighting it.

But however much I agree with the quote above, I don't agree that sticking with Mint9 fluxbox is better than installing it over the top of the latest version. If I ever succeed in getting Mint 11 working I will install Flux on top of Gnome like a shot - I even put gnome-control-center and mintmenu into the fluxbox main menu. Not all of it works but a lot of it does and it gives me the best of both worlds. IMHO mintmenu is what makes mint what it is, vastly superior to any other gnome based distro, so it is a shame to miss out on its charms. And it works perfectly when launched from the fluxbox main menu.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby sjonesy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:01 pm

vrkalak wrote:There is already a Mint-9 Fluxbox editiion. :D Even better, than installing Fluxbox over Xfce.

But, either way it works . . . I personally, enjoy Fluxbox better than Openbox.
Fluxbox is easier to use and configure and with more features, too.

been there done that, just exploring possibilities :P
just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?
sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Kendall on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:09 pm

sjonesy wrote:just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?

Or just run xfce4-panel in Fluxbox and have the best of both worlds. :)
Kendall
Level 7
Level 7

Postby vrkalak on Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:37 pm

I have both on my laptop.

Mint-9 Fluxbox LTS is light on resources, fast and very stable.
LMDX (Mint-Debian-Xfce) -- upgraded with the new mint-debian-testing 'incoming' repros -- and Fluxbox added over Xfce . . . no problems.

Also, have a separate/prepared partition -- waiting -- for the up-and-coming LMD-Flux
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby sjonesy on Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Kendall wrote:
sjonesy wrote:just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?

Or just run xfce4-panel in Fluxbox and have the best of both worlds. :)

guess it works both ways lol
sjonesy
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Others