fluxbox over xfce

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sjonesy

fluxbox over xfce

Post by sjonesy »

wasnt sure where this should go,
recently i installed flux over xfce mint 9 and I must say I'm impressed with the results, the only issue i had was getting tint2 to run at startup, which I have since solved.
Think I got an affinity for right clicking everything, love the menu layout as well.
If I understand the blurbs, it looks as though this idea wouldnt work with lxde as there are conflicting packages, though Im not as impressed with openbox, that will work with lxde.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: fluxbox over xfce

Post by vrkalak »

There is already a Mint-9 Fluxbox editiion. :D Even better, than installing Fluxbox over Xfce.

But, either way it works . . . I personally, enjoy Fluxbox better than Openbox.
Fluxbox is easier to use and configure and with more features, too.

I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will. :lol:
deleted

Post by deleted »

vrkalak wrote:...
I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will. :lol:
That rules KDE4 out (if I'm not mistaken). ;) I came to Gnome when KDE hit v 4 and got hooked on the right-click "open terminal here" that I can do with Gnome.
[edit]
or XFCE (so as to stay on topic)
-H
Last edited by deleted on Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I can't work without a Complete 'right-click' Menu and being able to change/alter that menu, at will
It's a wonderful feeling isn't it vrkalak :D . It just makes everything you do so easy. Not only that, but it doesn't matter how much damage is done to KDE, Gnome or Ubuntu by drug crazed developers, you can just laugh about it all and go on enjoying your computer instead of fighting it.

But however much I agree with the quote above, I don't agree that sticking with Mint9 fluxbox is better than installing it over the top of the latest version. If I ever succeed in getting Mint 11 working I will install Flux on top of Gnome like a shot - I even put gnome-control-center and mintmenu into the fluxbox main menu. Not all of it works but a lot of it does and it gives me the best of both worlds. IMHO mintmenu is what makes mint what it is, vastly superior to any other gnome based distro, so it is a shame to miss out on its charms. And it works perfectly when launched from the fluxbox main menu.
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

vrkalak wrote:There is already a Mint-9 Fluxbox editiion. :D Even better, than installing Fluxbox over Xfce.

But, either way it works . . . I personally, enjoy Fluxbox better than Openbox.
Fluxbox is easier to use and configure and with more features, too.

been there done that, just exploring possibilities :P
just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

sjonesy wrote:just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?
Or just run xfce4-panel in Fluxbox and have the best of both worlds. :)
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have both on my laptop.

Mint-9 Fluxbox LTS is light on resources, fast and very stable.
LMDX (Mint-Debian-Xfce) -- upgraded with the new mint-debian-testing 'incoming' repros -- and Fluxbox added over Xfce . . . no problems.

Also, have a separate/prepared partition -- waiting -- for the up-and-coming LMD-Flux
sjonesy

Post by sjonesy »

Kendall wrote:
sjonesy wrote:just to clarify, i do have a partition with straight fluxbox, but i also like xfce standalone so why not have both in one?
Or just run xfce4-panel in Fluxbox and have the best of both worlds. :)
guess it works both ways lol

Return to “Software & Applications”