Netflix Plug-in for Chrome and Chrome OS is on the Way

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Good news for Chrome users: A Netflix plugin for Chrome and Chrome OS is ready to be released.

This upcoming Netflix plugin will enable the streaming of movies via HTML5 technology, rather than Microsoft’s Silverlight software, which requires the user to download and install it onto their computer -something you’ll only be able to do in limited functions with Chrome OS.

Posted on 09. May, 2011

A topic search at developer.netflix.com and techblog.netflix.com are surprisingly (Not really surprising) void of any current conversation about this "upcoming" development. But it is more likely (to me) that they are keeping a lid on this to raise revenue streams, or some other Marketing BS.

The Director of Engineering at Netflix did post this:
Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program
but it lacks any clues about html5 or Linux programming.

I don't normally post content from other sites, (especially Media Outlets) but this is good news, if it is true.
It had to come to Linux eventually.

Take it with a grain of salt, I guess.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Netflix Plug-in for Chrome and Chrome OS is on the Way

Post by xenopeek »

Well, Netflix is not available in Europe, so normally this news would have bored me. However, it appears Netflix is making a push to launch in Europe also later this year. Finally :D http://www.advanced-television.com/inde ... pe-launch/
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

What's with Netflix's :?: Don't get it With the new pricing i can wait for HBO and Starz's, Any way have it on my TV :) No need for Computer to watch Movies :wink:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I'm just waiting for my cable company to follow Netflix since moonlight doesn't seem to work.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

"Not quite working" versions of the plugin are showing up in the dev builds of Chrome OS for the Samsung Chromebooks. If someone would be kind enough to boot into one of these with another Linux live image then it should be possible to extract the plugin and use it on other systems, presuming it's not looking for Chrome OS specific information in the plugin.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Linux gets a bit of good news on the Netflix front
By Jack Wallen
August 1, 2011, 7:07 AM PDT

Props to dawgdoc in http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&t=78549 for pointing the way.
chrnoble

Post by chrnoble »

The question is, though: will it be an add-on to the Google Chrome browser, or only available on the Chrome OS? Because I can see the latter being quite possible, to be honest.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

probably Chrome OS > Chrome > Everything else...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”