How do I uninstall without uninstalling ALL?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Nesrail

How do I uninstall without uninstalling ALL?

Post by Nesrail »

Hello.
I just installed Linux Mint Debian on my computer and I (heart) it! Everything works perfect but two thing bothers the hell out of me.

After I updated my system I have some programs I want to uninstall like Evolution, but when I try to, gnome-core and gnome-control-center is deleted too. Is there a way to make it NOT remove those, like a general method???

The next thing thats bothers me is when I uninstall Firefox, another browser is automatically installed. How do I remove firefox without something else is automatically installed??
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How do I uninstall without uninstalling ALL?

Post by Fornhamfred »

It seems as though Evolution is part of the Gnome package and therefore not simple to delete. I found this link which seems to be a sensible compromise.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ng-696852/

With reference to the browser, why not install your required browser and then delete firefox.
Nesrail

Post by Nesrail »

Fornhamfred wrote:It seems as though Evolution is part of the Gnome package and therefore not simple to delete. I found this link which seems to be a sensible compromise.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... ng-696852/

With reference to the browser, why not install your required browser and then delete firefox.
Thanks for the link.

I already installed Chromium and tried removing Firefox. No luck.
EDIT: just tried aptitude keep-all and removed firefox without any problems.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Evolution is hard baked into Gnome, so many of the Gnome services rely on it. Your choices are keeping it installed and just using some other email client, or not using Gnome.

Evolution is a Novell application, who no longer exist, they've been broken up with parts of the company now under a new owner AttachMate, part of that deal includes Microsoft. Microsoft could easily claim one day that Evolution is their "IP" and demand Gnome cough up licensing cash. It'd involve a LOT of work to remove it, upset a LOT of distros that use Gnome, but the Gnome devs are oblivious to the potential danger.

With most things in Linux it'd be easy to work around, not install etc but Evolution seems like one of the real problem children.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

From much of what I have seen " The Gnome devs are oblivious" could be the whole statement.
They are following in the footsteps of Microsoft by integrating everything together, like Windows and Internet Explorer.
The Unix way of making things modular and independent appears to be forgotten.
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

jeffreyC wrote:The Unix way of making things modular and independent appears to be forgotten.
It's not forgotten, it is the norm in most cases, Evolution is an exception rather than the rule. This may get worse in years to come as people develop with Ubuntu specific libs, meaning you have to install chunks of Ubuntu dependencies to get something running. Apparently Elementary OS are already flying this flag.

Return to “LMDE Archive”