Just Joined - Removed HUGE Virus from my Machine

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deanism

Just Joined - Removed HUGE Virus from my Machine

Post by Deanism »

Just set up Linux Mint 11 on my pretty new, quick, memory laden system. But before I could do that, I had to remove an enormous virus that was causing my unit to frequently freeze and unexpectedly shut down etc etc. It was called Windows 7 and took up about 55 GB of my expensive SSD. Don't know how it got past my anti-virus?

Now, I am probably the worst type of person to use Linux because I have the attention span of a bumble bee and the patience of Hitler. But even with all those impairments, I have still managed to get the basic functions set up. OK I lied - Linux set them all up for me.

This is an amazing system. I cannot believe how much work must have gone into producing something this complex and all for free. It amazes me to find that so many of my old Windows based files are usable in the bundled software. At this stage (I've been using it for about a day or so) many things are confusing because I'm not a 'script' person and the software installer seems to install things where I can't find them but I'm sure I'll hunt them down.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Just Joined - Removed HUGE Virus from my Machine

Post by The-Wizard »

Welcome to the Mint family forums

I too had lots of where is it problems, but after spending time looking through i found all i thought lost. when you get use to it you will discover that mint is much more structured than windows, and there is a logical positioning of programs and files much more so than M$

wizard
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Deanism!

If you need help just ask.

Cheers.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Deanism. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken »

Welcome to the family. During your inaugural stages, don't forget the newcomer anthem, that you must repeat 3 times each hour: "LINW" (Linux Is Not Windows). If you hit a problem, don't fall back on familiarity, ask the question. When you get the answer more often than not you will tell yourself "Wow, that's just logical, why didn't I think of it", and as you think this, you will learn and adapt.

Forget about scripts etc. at the moment. Linux is just as usable as Windows without scripts, and without the terminal (or CLI, or Command Line, or whatever else you are used to calling it). As you grow with the system, you can start to dip your toes into the water and learn what it is to have an OS work for you, rather than you having to adapt to it.

In a few weeks, you will be back here helping other Windows refugees through those first painful steps :)
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Welcome!! The virus I had to remove to put Mint on my system was Vista = the most satanic os ever. I was without a clue but I didn't care. I was so sick of the trojans and viruses, etc that I figured I simply could not go wrong. I have not looked back and have learned so much here and on the community site which also has a chat for help. You'll love Mint! :wink: :wink:
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I enjoyed you post Deanism and I like your sense of humor! Nice to have you in the forum! :D
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Deanism,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302355

Return to “Introduce Yourself”