Goodbye LMDE, back to Mint LTS

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Goodbye LMDE, back to Mint LTS

Post by Helmut »

Hi,
just wanted to make note of me leaving LMDE and installing Mint LTS again.
I know it says "expect some rough edges", but after four days of trying I had to give up. Firstly there were permission issues, thankfully resolved. Then broken packages, Libre Office refused to open my .doc documents, all written with open office. My scanner was not recognized.. etc etc.
Sorry, but I could not get it working reliably enough for it to be of much use. It may work good for you, but for me it is insurmountable. I'm going back to the LTS version.
Helmut
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: Goodbye LMDE, back to Mint LTS

Post by wayne128 »

Helmut wrote:Hi,
just wanted to make note of me leaving LMDE and installing Mint LTS again.
I know it says "expect some rough edges", but after four days of trying I had to give up. Firstly there were permission issues, thankfully resolved. Then broken packages, Libre Office refused to open my .doc documents, all written with open office. My scanner was not recognized.. etc etc.
Sorry, but I could not get it working reliably enough for it to be of much use. It may work good for you, but for me it is insurmountable. I'm going back to the LTS version.
Helmut

No worry.

Pick distros, try them, check it works for your application.

If LMDE did not work out, and Mint 9 works well for your application and your habit, then stay with it

and be happy.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

might one of the chat sub-forums been a better location ? . . . but anyways . . welcome back! :mrgreen: . . I've never left the Mint LTS versions. I have the newer versions shared on torrent and in vb for testing/support.
Rock solid stable, and as updated as I want it to be ! Image
kaizer

Post by kaizer »

at the moment LMDE may be not as user friendly as Mint LTS .... if Mint LTS was working well for you and you are not interested in experiencing things you should better stick to it for the time being. In few months maybe you gonna give LMDE a new try as it will be much more user friendly by then.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have both LMDE (upgraded with the mint-debian-testing 'incoming' repros) ... and Mint-9 Fluxbox.

Mint-9 is the current LTS (long-term support) version of LM ... which makes it very stable and still supported for another 2 years.
I have, also, upgraded everything in Mint-9 -- from the kernel to 2.6.39 and I'm using Firefox-7.0a2

No need to upgrade (except to test/experiment/play) to the newer editions ... "if it works for you, stick with it."
kaysilver

Post by kaysilver »

I use mint11 32 & 64 & lmde, but then i like to live dangerously!! lol. If anyone asks me to help them to get away from that other system i steer them to mint 9 LTS -- rock solid stable,no major probs.,just works--which is the whole point of getting someone to change to a great new sys. if you don't like to play around and have to fix things then 9 is perfect(well as close as you can get.lol)I have fixed a lot of my friends comps up with 9. They love it. it works so use it by all means. when deb is stable give it a try!just my 2c worth.

Return to “LMDE Archive”