[SOLVED] mintMenu is hanging regularly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ahivarn

[SOLVED] mintMenu is hanging regularly

Post by ahivarn »

Dear all

Whenever I type anything in mintMenu, it hangs all the screen a lot of times. I read one man's reply. He said something like

in /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py
line 797 - 803 comment out the lines starting with thr

Code: Select all

if self.current_suggestion is not None and self.current_suggestion in text:
                            # We're restricting our search... 
                            self.add_search_suggestions(text)
                            #if (len(self.current_results) > 0):
                                #self.add_apt_filter_results_sync(self.current_results, text)
                            #else:
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start()  
                        else:
                            self.current_results = []  
                            self.add_search_suggestions(text) 
                            #thr = threading.Thread(name="mint-menu-apt-filter", group=None, target=self.add_apt_filter_results, args=([text]), kwargs={})
                            #thr.start()
Now I can't open /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py and am not sure if this solves the problem... :?:

Please help. I have installed Mint on many friend's computer and don't wanna Mint let down. :roll:

Thanks

Update: Opened the applications.py as admin using gedit and did what is there... adding # before thr to comment it out i.e. to make thr a comment.. This way now mintMenu works perfectly.. But still a pain to do this on my so many friends' computers. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: mintMenu is hanging regularly

Post by xenopeek »

Don't get dramatic about it :D This is caused by the Mint menu search also looking with what you type for packages to install. It is a known issue on all but really fast computers, there are 2 possible solutions (if the first doesn't work, try the second). Both disable the Mint menu to search for packages to install.

1. Right-click on the Mint menu -> Preferences -> Applications and then deselect "Search for packages to install"
Perhaps reboot to be sure it is effected.

2. Do what you mention. Open Terminal and run following to edit the file:

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py

Return to “Software & Applications”