Ideas for mintcast

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
christopher.wortman

Re: Ideas for mintcast

Post by christopher.wortman »

I am new to Linux Mint, but I am doing an in-depth review for the next 28 days as a 30 day review. I am not new to Linux but gave up almost two years ago on all Linux, so coming back after 2 years is kind of eye-opening. A lot has changed.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=77545
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

I'd really like to get involved with the podcast, even if just as a guest for one episode.

I'd like to discuss how to take an LMDE install and tweak and customize it to make it your own. I could cover topics like upgrading to Sid and what to look out for once you do (apt-listbugs, our non-standard forum thread, how to file a Debian bug report, etc.) I'd also like to cover custom kernel compilation (both and apt-get source of linux-liquorix-2.6 as well as downloading and compiling the vanilla 3.0 kernel from kernel.org). I'd also like to cover additional repositories I've added for things like GnoMenu, VirtualBox, EDuke32, etc. This would appeal to listeners of the podcast with an intermediate knowledge of Linux, who may be a bit timid in taking the next step without guidance such as would be provided in this proposed podcast.

An idea I had further to this point (perhaps for a separate podcast episode) would be to discuss how I use my customized LMDE as my operating system 100% of the time. As such what programs I use, how I use my computer, etc. Might also be fun to get a bunch of the people posting in the non-standard thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=70230

Get a few of us together in a round-table discussion of what software we consider essential (that isn't included by default in a Mint install), and what we use that software for. New users listening to the podcast would get the benefit of hearing first hand accounts of software used that they thought perhaps only existed in the Windows world, unaware that there is a suitable Linux counterpart.
JamesAC

Post by JamesAC »

TheGreatSudoku wrote:I'd really like to get involved with the podcast, even if just as a guest for one episode.

I'd like to discuss how to take an LMDE install and tweak and customize it to make it your own. I could cover topics like upgrading to Sid and what to look out for once you do (apt-listbugs, our non-standard forum thread, how to file a Debian bug report, etc.) I'd also like to cover custom kernel compilation (both and apt-get source of linux-liquorix-2.6 as well as downloading and compiling the vanilla 3.0 kernel from kernel.org). I'd also like to cover additional repositories I've added for things like GnoMenu, VirtualBox, EDuke32, etc. This would appeal to listeners of the podcast with an intermediate knowledge of Linux, who may be a bit timid in taking the next step without guidance such as would be provided in this proposed podcast.

An idea I had further to this point (perhaps for a separate podcast episode) would be to discuss how I use my customized LMDE as my operating system 100% of the time. As such what programs I use, how I use my computer, etc. Might also be fun to get a bunch of the people posting in the non-standard thread:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=70230

Get a few of us together in a round-table discussion of what software we consider essential (that isn't included by default in a Mint install), and what we use that software for. New users listening to the podcast would get the benefit of hearing first hand accounts of software used that they thought perhaps only existed in the Windows world, unaware that there is a suitable Linux counterpart.

That sounds like a great idea. We are avidly awaiting the release of the LMDE re-spins and I was thinking that would be a great tie in to talking about distro customization and software.
I'll talk with the other guys tonight and see what we come up with. So we'll stay in touch.
TheGreatSudoku

Post by TheGreatSudoku »

just an FYI as well.. neither the MP3 nor the OGG version of episode 77 will play on my Android via their respective RSS feed downloads. Download goes fine, but something about the format. Looks like I'll have to import it into audactiy then export it (I had to do that with osnews podcasts for a while).

I am still interested in being a guest on the podcast, just let me know when you plan to record and roughly what you'd like me to talk about and how much time I have to do it in :D
Jolicoeur

Post by Jolicoeur »

How about talking about how to dual boot on one drive and on two drives, by the way love that you are in Quebec
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

What I found daunting as a new user to Linux was finding good information. I had been to a few forums (not this one) where I felt so badly flamed that my eyebrows were singed and finger-tips burnt from contact with the keyboard. My local bookstore had many books on Linux, but they all seemed to range from Advanced to Master's Thesis.

I had to stumble onto websites like http://en.flossmanuals.net/ on my own, or find a quick video on youtube and hope for the best.

In the end, I learned a bit more than the average bear, but I felt I had to find it on my own. So, where would you suggest new users go to learn how to drive a car, not build it from scratch?

If not, then we can always go with this idea as well...
lmintnewb wrote:Hot women +bikini's or scanty dress = success.
...but they have to know how to use the command line, too. :D
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The Linux Mint chat (the XChat or Quassel program in the menu) is a good place to learn about Linux with help from other users.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I have been listening to recent episodes of mintcast and I plan on listening to older mintcast podcasts too.

You want ideas?

Fine, I will give you ideas.

The information is GREAT, let me say that first.

But you guys are boring. I realize that you are linux enthusiasts and not natural podcast personalities and that is fine.

My suggestion is to have a regular segment on software package reviews, but I will get to that later in this post.

I am completely sold on Linux Mint. And I have weighed all the issues including the UEFI issue and even that seems eye-rollingly trivial.

I believe it is a waste of Microsofts' money to develop UEFI technology.

Linux users biggest challenge in life is taking things apart and putting them back together so the UEFI issue is another fun aspect that we will conquer.

But my point is really, Linux Mint has a future and there is no need to believe that Linux Mint is in danger of their future.

There was discussion about Linux Mint 13 and Xfce and how horrible it is.

Well I can say that LM13 w/Xfce is working GREAT with my 32-bit 1gb laptop and my 64-bit 4gb laptop and I don't know what the problem is. I am considering temporarily installing on my 8gb Desktop just for testing but for now I recommend it to everyone.

But I respect that the current hosts are the pioneers of Linux Mint but the thing is Linux Mint is GREAT. Easy to install, easy to customize and many options. Linux Mint is a great platform for newbies to learn Linux and once you learn Linux and respect what it has to offer including Higg Boson then you won't go back to Windows and even Mac!

So when I suggest software reviews, I say that because the Linux Mint community has to make sure that all aspects of customization are readily answered whenever a newbie has issues.

So I recommend that for a lack of topics to discuss, there should always be around 15 minutes spent on reviewing top packages in the Linux Mint community

How to Install
How to Remove
The History of the program
The History behind the development and developers
Maybe even interviews with the developers
Their interface
The packages competition both in the GNU and the competition among Windows and Mac

For instance avidemux and premier pro and FCPX....

Yes, everyone already knows that Premiere Pro and FCPX is very competitive but if there is information that developers can use to better their product they will want to listen to Linux Mint.

I believe that software development in the GNU community is catching up to the finite glass ceiling that proprietary software has

MS Office and Libre Office is a great example

Libre Office and openoffice.org can only be inproved up to a point when it really doesn't matter.

The program is solid.

So I believe there should be a emphasis on software packages.
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

I agree with most of what you've said, and there have been times before when the guys have reviewed image viewers, video editors, etc. Might be nice to revisit those again.

A problem occurs when you start talking about the nuts and bolts of installing or removing a program, though... it's called Bad Radio. Anything based on Debian uses Apt as a way to make things happen, thus to install Emacs, open up a terminal, and type in sudo apt-get install emacs. The terminal goes nuts for a minute, finds dependencies, and asks if you really want to install this stuff. You hit "yes," and the terminal goes nuts for another minute downloading and installing. It's neat to watch, you get a real feel for how the computer makes things happen, but for an audio listener, it's just dead air.
Might as well have a show interviewing growing grass. :roll:
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

The only reason why I mention install and remove is I am so used to ./configure, make, install with yum on my CentOS.

If the install is easy, then skip it.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Something weird and wrong going on with Google Mintcast results.

i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
MerelyJim

Post by MerelyJim »

Yeah, I think a lot of Linux Mint (proper) bleeds into the search results. I doubt that having this thread here makes it any easier...
ALF13

Post by ALF13 »

"Future of operating systems"
"Linux and games"
:)
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Mint is attracting lots of new Linux users because it is getting such good buzz lately.
How about a segment where you do a good basic run thru of the Mint fundamentals? Each week do one on things like explaining how everything works in the Cinnamon menu, customization and such, then another on the panel, another on Nemo, etc. I would love to hear a good walk thru of the Mint tools.
A basic overview and tips and tricks. Maybe 10 minutes.
I enjoy the podcast, keep up the good work!
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”