[solved]Remove hedgewars

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
godsotherhand

[solved]Remove hedgewars

Post by godsotherhand »

I installed hedgewars using a script.
The game doesnt show up in my mintmenu, doesnt show in synaptic and my software manager says it's not installed.
I start it by opening a terminal and typing "hedgewars".
The problem is that now the game is back in the repos(i had to install it this way cus it was gone from repo) and i would like to install that version, cus it works better (this1 has some bugs).
The problem is i dont know how to get rind of this version.
Installing the version in the repos does nothing..the old version starts up.
any1 got some ideas?
sudo apt-get remove hedgewars
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package hedgewars is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
N: Ignoring file 'opera.list.save' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
also, this is the script:
http://www.hedgewars.org/node/2339
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Remove hedgewars

Post by xenopeek »

The script first checks a list of packages it needs, and if it finds any missing it installs those. These are installed from the normal repository, and won't hinder you (they will get upgraded if needed, or removed if conflicting with another package). No worries about those.

The installation script is sadly very poor in the last part. They should have used "sudo checkinstall" instead of "sudo make install", as the first would have created a .DEB package, which indeed you would have been able to remove cleanly through Synaptic and such. If you ever install from source again, make sure to use "sudo checkinstall" instead of "sudo make install".

You may try to go to the hedgewars directory, and run:

Code: Select all

sudo make uninstall
Or perhaps:

sudo make deinstall
If neither work, you could try to do the "sudo make install" again and keep a track of all the files it installed--and remove those manually.
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

Hope this is the folder you were talking about..
bugsbunny@bugsbunny /usr/local/share/hedgewars $ sudo make uninstall
make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'. Stop.
bugsbunny@bugsbunny /usr/local/share/hedgewars $ sudo make deinstall
make: *** No rule to make target `deinstall'. Stop.
should i just delete the folder?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The /usr/local/share/hedgewars folder is where it was installed by the "sude make install" command. Running the uninstall command from there won't work.

From what folder did you run the script? The following line in the script downloads *at that location* the sources from hedgewars and puts it in a subfolder called hedgewars. You should run the commands from *that* folder.

hg clone https://hedgewars.googlecode.com/hg/ hedgewars
If you don't know, run the following command in the terminal to find all locations with files or folders called hedgewars:

locate hedgewars
There should be a hedgewars folder in your home folder probably, that is the most likely location for you to have run the script. If you can't find it, you can download the sources again and run the uninstall from there. Open the Terminal and do the following:

cd ~
hg clone https://hedgewars.googlecode.com/hg/ hedgewars
cd hedgewars
sudo make uninstall
And you can replace the "sudo make uninstall" with "sudo make deinstall". If this still fails, run the "sudo make install", see where it all installes files (will be more than /usr/local/share/hedgewars) and delete these.

Finally, cleanup with:

rm -fr ~/hedgewars
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

the code u recomended didnt work :(
Since i was gonna reinstall the whole thing (and i am on a slow 3g modem and i deleted the source files) i tryed deleting everything related to hedgewars, and then installing what i had in the repos, and it worked :P Now it starts with the version in the repos ( I dont think there should be any problems, as its basicly the same game with different data files :P

Ty for your help :D

Return to “LMDE Archive”