LMDE Respin??????

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
LMDE1967

LMDE Respin??????

Post by LMDE1967 »

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here but not new to linux, though I'm not a linux guru either. I came from Ubuntu after Unity came out and glad I did. I'm now running LMDE and have to say it ROCKS! It's so much faster than Ubuntu. I've been hearing about the respin of LMDE coming out in July sometime and checking the Mint site 2-3 times a day for it but nothing. Is this true?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wayne128

Re: LMDE Respin??????

Post by wayne128 »

If you have it running already, you do not need a respin.

first suggestion is to clone it and keep it somewhere. in the event some issues on dist-upgrade, you can restore it from the clone.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

The respin will simply update the base ISO, which means that the packages initially installed will be less out-of-date than they would be with an older spin. The installer will probably have improved as well, but that doesn't make a difference if you've already installed LMDE.

The only reason to use the new spin is for a fresh install. It will still be out of date within minutes of release anyway, so you'll still have to update.
LMDE1967

Post by LMDE1967 »

Ok great to know.
Is LMDE safe enough to use if you do online banking?
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Most any Linux OS-distro is secure. Infinately, more secure than Windows.

As for Online banking and security ... that all depends on the web-browser and the security measures that the banking website has in effect.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

LMDE1967 wrote:Ok great to know.
Is LMDE safe enough to use if you do online banking?
Just finished a session at the bank before I came on here - so, yes! :) It's not the Desktop that makes it secure, it's your bank's and your practices. The interface has almost nothing to do with it.

Besides, if the crooks looked at my bank account, I am sure they would just say "leave this poor sod alone" and move on?! :P

cheers,
rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
LMDE1967

Post by LMDE1967 »

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Return to “LMDE Archive”