How to add keyboard layout selector in toolbar?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catinaz

How to add keyboard layout selector in toolbar?

Post by catinaz »

Hi all,
I am using mint fluxbox Isadora. How do I add keyboard layout selector in toolbar, so I do not have to go menu>System tools>Preferences>Keyboard and mouse to change it? As well, I have two keyboard and mouse tools there, one of them lets me to change layout another not. And where I can add keyboard short-cut to change layout (i.e. Shift+Alt)?
And since we are on keys, laptop's volume up, down, mute keys are not working (compaq presario R300). It isn't big issue, but would be nice to have it working.
Thanks
Cat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daquirm

Re: How to add keyboard layout selector in toolbar?

Post by daquirm »

Hi,

switching keyboard layouts can be easily done by assigning a keyboard shortcut by adding lines to: "/home/yourname/.fluxbox/keys" for example a switch between Czech and US like this:

Code: Select all

Mod1 Shift_L :ExecCommand /usr/bin/setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout cz -variant qwerty
Control Shift_L :ExecCommand /usr/bin/setxkbmap -model pc104 -layout us
Actually by pressing Alt+Shift I switch to CZ and by pressing Ctrl+Shift I switch back to US. There is very simple way to write a script for switching the layout back a and forth, but I'm unable to write scripts at all.

There's also an app called Antico XKB, which does it in the windows style, you can download it here:
http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php?con ... 9eee365417
Then it's possible to make it autostart by adding it to "/home/yourname/.fluxbox/startup" but the problem is, that it starts wit a configure dialog, I didn't find a way how to start it minimized...

Return to “Software & Applications”