Theme broken in some applications

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
penguinsam

Theme broken in some applications

Post by penguinsam »

I just discovered that some applications' theme is ugly...does anyone encounter this before?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cdysthe

Re: Theme broken in some applications

Post by cdysthe »

penguinsam wrote:I just discovered that some applications' theme is ugly...does anyone encounter this before?
It's because they have been upgraded to Gnome 3. If you look closer you will see that they have version # 3.x. This has been discuss in various posts on the forum. Doesn't seem to be much you can do right now since Gnome 2 and 3 doesn't mix well.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

And there are very few themes for gtk3 yet.
You will be able to have themes for gtk2 and gtk3 set.
But until some of the theme artists become familiar with gtk3, you are stuck with something like the Raleigh theme.
I have avoided upgrading a few applications because of this.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

jeffreyC wrote:And there are very few themes for gtk3 yet.
You will be able to have themes for gtk2 and gtk3 set.
But until some of the theme artists become familiar with gtk3, you are stuck with something like the Raleigh theme.
I have avoided upgrading a few applications because of this.
gtk3 has a lot of different things in it then gtk2 does for themeing, it'll take a bit for themers (me included) to get a handle on the changes and take the time to learn about it.
gtk2 was easy and you could easily make a template and just change the artwork to make a new one, I am sure this will happen to in gtk3 as it grows but its getting the time to dig into it for all the themers, plus a lot of themers just used someone elses gtk2 and mod it to their liking without really learning all of gtk2 so that knocks out a lot of themers right now. I checked into gtk3 and like the idea of using css but it will take a bit to get it down myself.
Sam
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

For the theme artists among us, I found this, it is a template for gtk3 themes, I hope it is helpful;

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=142117
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

You could use the peppermint theme, and adjust colors to taste until everything changes to gdk3. So far it hasn't broke yet.

Edit: if you like dark themes try the "aurora-midnight" controls theme , sorry forgot to add it.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

That is a gtk2 theme, the problem is with gtk3
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I think sometimes a problem can be over thought.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

wyrdoak, what theme settings are you using in that screenie?
i will give it a try tomorrow :P
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I started with the "peppermint" theme, change the controls to "aurora-midnight", Metacity theme "Polaris green" for the borders.
Darken the bright green color on peppermint using the color snatcher on the window borders.

Then took a screenshot of an open window and cropped a 2in section of the title bar to create a png to use as the task bar background.

So far it hasn't broke yet. If I knew how to package this I would. :wink:

OH! and made sure all my text in the theme was white.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

wyrdoak wrote: So far it hasn't broke yet. If I knew how to package this I would. :wink:
Hi wyrdoak
You should be able to just compress it in a tar or zip (all the files it took to create it) for packaging.
As long as theme files reads correctly also there shouldn't be aa problem.
If you need help in this I can try and package it for you if you want.
Sam
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I saved it after I made it, so I wouldn't be having to take the whole minute or two it takes to rebuild, I didn't think it would save all the elements in the same folder but just saved some kind of settings file. I wish I had it all in a tarball to keep just in case I do get to the point that something breaks.

I know sooner or later something is going to get good and broke.

Here's all that's in the theme folder, *.theme file.

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Name=wyrdoaks-green
Type=X-GNOME-Metatheme
Comment=

[X-GNOME-Metatheme]
GtkTheme=Aurora-Midnight
MetacityTheme=Polaris green (rounded)
IconTheme=(malys_EXcelenT)(01)
GtkColorScheme=fg_color:#d4d4d4d4d4d4,bg_color:#333333333333,text_color:#d4d4d4d4d4d4,base_color:#474747474747,selected_fg_color:#b5b5bfbfb1b1,selected_bg_color:#0b0b1e1e0000,tooltip_fg_color:#000000000000,tooltip_bg_color:#f5f5f5f5b5b5
CursorTheme=default
CursorSize=18
NotificationTheme=standard
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Howdy wyrdoak
This should be easy to package well at least hopefully.

create a folder and name it the same name as the theme in this case "wyrdoaks-green"
then inside that folder put the Aurora-Midnight gtk folder (if you got this from the mint theme and thats where its reading it from just copy paste the folder from usr/share/theme) what you want to copy is the gtk folder only since this is what you used and in the theme file you can rename

GtkTheme=Aurora-Midnight
to just

GtkTheme=wyrdoaks-green
because it will look for that gtk inside the folder then.
I don't know where you got the Polaris green metacity from but just copy the metacity folder in it and paste that also into the same folder
change this part

MetacityTheme=Polaris green (rounded)
to

MetacityTheme=wyrdoaks-green
so it reads that metacity folder inside your own folder.
If you want to add the icon package do that in a seperate folder. If most have that then it should automatically read it otherwise they will have to put it in there .icon folder, but it will look for it and warn them.
after you have the gtk and the metacity folders and the theme file changed and save all inside the wyrdoaks-green folder then your good to go.
If you want to test it and make a different copy with a different name you can rename the

Name=wyrdoaks-green
inside the theme file to something else (it should change the folder name automatically if not change it to what you rename it too. Change all the places in the theme file you name wyrdoaks-green to whatever the new name is.
The in your home folder (using ctl + H ) to bring up the hidden files if you don't have a .theme folder create one and put your newley create theme folder in there go to apperances and find it and see if it works, if it does right click on that sucker and compress it up and share :D
Let me know if you have any troubles if so I can do it for you.
Sam
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

If that is all the elements I need, I found I still had the original tarballs for the icons and the "polaris" metacity theme pack. Since Mint already comes with "aurora-midnight" all you really should have to to is drop the two tarballs in the theme manager, copy the wyrdoak-green folder to your home .themes folder. then select the theme from the theme manager.

The polaris metacity theme pack comes with more than just green so that might be good if green isn't your flavor.

Now if I just had a place to upload a 9.6mb file, I could torrent it.
Last edited by wyrdoak on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I got torrent not in pool or not added yet lol

You can add it to deviantart.com if you like, just make sure its in a zip file they don't take anything else.
Thats who I use, I have webhosting but why slow down my site when deviantart does mind as long as its a theme, just put a screenshot with it thats no bigger then 600px at the biggest part, they dont like anything bigger.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

samriggs

Post by samriggs »

got it that time :D
I'll go through it add the gtk for you and make one file that they will only need to drop right into there theme folder for you and zip it up so you can put it on deviantart if you like.
Let me know if you want it emailed back or not.
Sam

EDIT I take it you used the Polaris green (rounded) one?
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

If you want to do all that just go ahead and post it on deviantart just send me the link, and I'll split all the money with ya. :lol: yes I used the green round one.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

wyrdoak wrote:If you want to do all that just go ahead and post it on deviantart just send me the link, and I'll split all the money with ya. :lol: yes I used the round one.
Inside the rounded folder there is a lot of files that show the colors, I just took it you used the green one let me know in case I choose the wrong one, it's almost finished just waiting for which one you used for the border colors, heres the list
blue, cyan, gray, green, human, red, polaris(rounded) it has no color labeled, violet, yellow
:lol: alot to choose from.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Yes I use the green round theme.

Return to “LMDE Archive”