Install wine.

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
godsotherhand

Install wine.

Post by godsotherhand »

How can i install wine in LMDE? not in software manager, and on theyr website i cand find any APT or .deb ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zerozero

Re: Install wine.

Post by zerozero »

godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

the only way i had it to work was by adding the repos, all other ways resulted in failure. Ty for the link!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

hi,
just for future advise, can you tell us from what repo you got wine working?
tks
godsotherhand

Post by godsotherhand »

FYI there is an unofficial repository for aptosid (debian based) from which you can easily install (and automatically update) the latest wine package.

Code: Select all
deb http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid main

Add the line above to /etc/apt/sources.list.

I also changed the pinning policy by adding the following lines to /etc/apt/preferences, in order to avoid undesired updates from packages other than wine.

Package: *
Pin: origin frickelplatz.de
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: wine
Pin: origin frickelplatz.de
Pin-Priority: 800

(may not be the best policy ever, but it just worked in my case. If anyone knows a more robust one please let me know)

Update as usual:

sudo apt-get update

You may want to install their keyrings before installing the wine package:

sudo apt-get install frickelplatz-archive-keyring frickelplatz-keyring frickelplatz-keyrings

then you're ready to go with wine:

sudo apt-get install wine

of course you may use Synaptic instead.
I used it with LMDE for several months without problems then I dismissed it just because I got tired of wine.
Note that the repository is not officially supported (like many others) and you can find it down from time to time so try it at your own risk.
Also, mixing distribution repositories is not recommended for beginners; watch carefully every operation or you can easily screw up your system.
most things i see regarding this (and debian in general) are outdated, so if any1 knows of a better/easyer way to install wine, please feel free to post here.
grizzler

Post by grizzler »

I use the packages on this page (which is also linked from the WineHQ download Debian page): http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/

It's for unstable, so you might get caught out on the versions of dependencies, like currently the alsa library requiring a more recent version of libasound2.
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

Same for me as grizzler. But I build wine from sources. Sources on the same page (http://dev.carbon-project.org/debian/wine-unstable/). I build from wine-unstable_1.3.24.orig.tar.bz2 (which was there few days ago). Wine is works but it use oss for sound. While build I installed all "-dev" dependencies required. My repo is "latest", Update pack 2 used. World of Warcraft (WotLK) works ;)
itoffshore

Post by itoffshore »

I've put the latest WINE (1.3.25) deb for 32 bit built on Debian Wheezy with OSS support for download here

& instructions for installing the dependencies to compile from source here

Return to “LMDE Archive”