Sandy Bridge support for LMDE??? Newer iso maybe?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
sgtguthrie

Sandy Bridge support for LMDE??? Newer iso maybe?

Post by sgtguthrie »

Hi all, I am currently running LM11 main edition, but would like to try out LMDE. I tried to boot from the live cd, but I couldn't get past a blinking cursor.

My guess is that my computer is too new. I just got an HP DV6T Quad Edition with an Intel Core i7 2630QM. I know the last Live cd was in December, before Sandy Bridge was released.

Is there a way to do it being that the baked in kernel pre-dates Sandy Bridge support? Or is there a new iso coming soon? I'm fine with LM11, but would really like to try the Debian Flavor.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sandy Bridge support for LMDE??? Newer iso maybe?

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

sgtguthrie wrote:Hi all, I am currently running LM11 main edition, but would like to try out LMDE. I tried to boot from the live cd, but I couldn't get past a blinking cursor.

My guess is that my computer is too new. I just got an HP DV6T Quad Edition with an Intel Core i7 2630QM. I know the last Live cd was in December, before Sandy Bridge was released.

Is there a way to do it being that the baked in kernel pre-dates Sandy Bridge support? Or is there a new iso coming soon? I'm fine with LM11, but would really like to try the Debian Flavor.

Thanks in advance!
Was it a blank cursor and nothing else? Or was it a line of text that ended with boot: and a blinking cursor following? Because sometimes the liveCD hangs there, and all you need to do is type in "live" and hit enter.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

A respin should be near, and with the 39.3 kernel
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781
wait for the respins of LMDE which will come this summer and in which these features will be fully integrated.
edit: in the meantime i saw LifeInTheGrey's answer, it's worth a try as well 8)
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

Thanks for the speedy replies guys! I'll try again, if it doesn't work, I'll wait for the respin.

You guys make the LM community awesome... I really appreciate it!
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

It gives me a bunch of lines saying "starting..." a bunch of stuff, the last of which is samba. Then it goes to a blank screen with blinking cursor where it hangs and the disk stops spinning. I tried typing "live" with no luck.

Now I can press alt+f5 to get to the command line. Is there anything I can try from there?

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

After reading the HP page on the laptop it seems it has Radeon graphics on board, but Sandy Bridge already has integrated Intel graphics on the CPU itself, which means you have 2 GPUs on your laptop. Perhaps you can force which GPU do you use in BIOS? If yes then maybe having fun with this option will allow you to boot.
I am unfamiliar with the AMD solution, but with Nvidia cards you have something like Nvidia Optimus, which is not suppored by Intel nor Nvidia, but support for Linux is under development by the community. Maybe AMD also has something equivalent to Optimus? Just loose ideas...
sgtguthrie

Re: Re: Sandy Bridge support for LMDE??? Newer iso maybe?

Post by sgtguthrie »

eiver wrote:After reading the HP page on the laptop it seems it has Radeon graphics on board, but Sandy Bridge already has integrated Intel graphics on the CPU itself, which means you have 2 GPUs on your laptop. Perhaps you can force which GPU do you use in BIOS? If yes then maybe having fun with this option will allow you to boot.
I am unfamiliar with the AMD solution, but with Nvidia cards you have something like Nvidia Optimus, which is not suppored by Intel nor Nvidia, but support for Linux is under development by the community. Maybe AMD also has something equivalent to Optimus? Just loose ideas...
I don't think that's the problem though. It always boots livecd's.

I don't have that option in my bios, so once I install a distro I blacklist radeon and just use integrated graphics. The last lmde disk was released in December, and the first Intel Sandy Bridge processor was in January. It took Linux a while to integrate Sandy Bridge support, so I'm pretty sure the old kernel is to blame.

Please correct me though if I'm wrong :-)

Thanks...

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT with Tapatalk
Hannes Hochreiner

Post by Hannes Hochreiner »

I'd also be in favour of a new iso of LMDE. I really like the distro and have been using it for several months now. However, with my new laptop (i5 second generation), I won't be able to install it.

I tried yesterday to boot using the 64-bit live cd of LMDE prepared in 12/2010 and got some text and then the blinking cursor. On the other hand, using linux mint 11 the laptop booted without a problem.

If somebody could point me to some resource on how to install LMDE on sandy bridge machines it would be highly appreciated. Alternatively, if there is a description available on how to prepare a LMDE live cd, I might give that a try.
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

Hannes Hochreiner wrote:I'd also be in favour of a new iso of LMDE. I really like the distro and have been using it for several months now. However, with my new laptop (i5 second generation), I won't be able to install it.

I tried yesterday to boot using the 64-bit live cd of LMDE prepared in 12/2010 and got some text and then the blinking cursor. On the other hand, using linux mint 11 the laptop booted without a problem.

If somebody could point me to some resource on how to install LMDE on sandy bridge machines it would be highly appreciated. Alternatively, if there is a description available on how to prepare a LMDE live cd, I might give that a try.
Haha did you try my recommendation above?

Text and blinking cursor = type live and press enter
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
Hannes Hochreiner

LifeInTheGrey wrote: Haha did you try my recommendation above?

I did not have a chance. I played around with the laptop in the shop before I read your post. For my laptop to arrive it will still take a few days. However, as soon as I get it, I'll try your recommendation. I would really much prefer to keep using LMDE.
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

Hannes Hochreiner wrote:I'd also be in favour of a new iso of LMDE. I really like the distro and have been using it for several months now. However, with my new laptop (i5 second generation), I won't be able to install it.

I'm going to install on an older computer, update it, then use remastersys to make an installation disk. Once I have a chance to try it, I'll post back how it went.
Hannes Hochreiner

sgtguthrie wrote:I'm going to install on an older computer, update it, then use remastersys to make an installation disk. Once I have a chance to try it, I'll post back how it went.
That would be great. I was wondering whether it would be sufficient to simple substitute "casper/initrd.lz" and "casper/vmlinuz" from Linux Mint 11?
Hannes Hochreiner

Hannes Hochreiner wrote:
LifeInTheGrey wrote: Haha did you try my recommendation above?

I did not have a chance. I played around with the laptop in the shop before I read your post. For my laptop to arrive it will still take a few days. However, as soon as I get it, I'll try your recommendation. I would really much prefer to keep using LMDE.
I now tried and sadly it did not work. Thanks though for the tip. It was worth a try.
Hannes Hochreiner

Yet another idea: The current version of Linux Mint Xfce 64-bit was released in April 2011. So I would think it comes with a kernel that's new enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Switching from Xfce to Gnome should only be a matter of installing a packages, right?
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

Hannes Hochreiner wrote:Yet another idea: The current version of Linux Mint Xfce 64-bit was released in April 2011. So I would think it comes with a kernel that's new enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Switching from Xfce to Gnome should only be a matter of installing a packages, right?

Main edition works too though. I installed the main edition, then upgraded to the 3.0 kernel. I'm not sure if the kernel upgrade did much for me, but everything works fine. I'm talking about using LMDE though. I'd like to try the Debian based one.
Hannes Hochreiner

sgtguthrie wrote:
Hannes Hochreiner wrote:Yet another idea: The current version of Linux Mint Xfce 64-bit was released in April 2011. So I would think it comes with a kernel that's new enough. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Switching from Xfce to Gnome should only be a matter of installing a packages, right?

Main edition works too though. I installed the main edition, then upgraded to the 3.0 kernel. I'm not sure if the kernel upgrade did much for me, but everything works fine. I'm talking about using LMDE though. I'd like to try the Debian based one.
I understand that you would like to use a Debian based edition of Linux Mint, so do I. It was my understanding though that there are currently two editions of Linux Mint based on Debian: LMDE and Linux Mint Xfce. I might be wrong but that's the impression I got from the LMDE download page and different blog posts. Since the Debian based version of Linux Mint Xfce was released later, I guess it has a newer kernel.
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

Hannes Hochreiner wrote:
sgtguthrie wrote:

I understand that you would like to use a Debian based edition of Linux Mint, so do I. It was my understanding though that there are currently two editions of Linux Mint based on Debian: LMDE and Linux Mint Xfce. I might be wrong but that's the impression I got from the LMDE download page and different blog posts. Since the Debian based version of Linux Mint Xfce was released later, I guess it has a newer kernel.

Ahh, gotcha... Thanks. I didn't realize that had the Debian base. I'll check it out :-)
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

XFCE is a no go. It ships with 2.6.32 for some reason, and there are no Sandy Bridge drivers prior to 2.6.37...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the LMDE-xfce iso was released about one week before the upgrade from the 32 to the 38 kernel :) call it a timing for you :lol:
but anyway the respin with the 39.3 should be just around the corner
Hannes Hochreiner

LMDE-xfce did start, but aborted the install at random times, so I could not get a working system. I am now back on Linux Mint 11 with a manually installed 3.0 kernel (had some lock-ups with the kernel it ships with).

When the new debain spins are out, I'll be happy to try them.

Return to “LMDE Archive”