Creating tar.7z archives still broken in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cdysthe

Creating tar.7z archives still broken in LMDE

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

This problem used to be present in LM 10, but was fixed in LM 11, not so in LMDE:

Right click on a folder or file and select 'Compress', then select '.tar.7z' as archive format and click 'Create'. Nothing happens except for a .<random_characters> (hidden) directory is created but no tar.7z archive. Other archives, even combined format ones, works fine. All the 7zip stuff is installed and I can create such an archive by first making the tar ball and the 7zip it, but it's very convenient to be able to do it from the context menu. The reason I use this archive format is that 7zip gives about 20% more compression than anything else I've tried but doesn't store permissions; tar takes care of that, so it had been great to get this problem fixed.

Ideas anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mads

Re: Creating tar.7z archives still broken in LMDE

Post by mads »

Hi!

I just compressed several folders to tar.7z and all of them were compressed in a proper way. By the way, I am running LMDE 32-bit.

I wrote "7z" in Synaptic's Quick filter and these packages showed up:

p7zip-full
p7zip
file-roller
lzma

Do you have the above packages installed?
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Not trying to influence you or anything, but have you seen this site? :

http://ubuntuguru.wordpress.com/2007/03 ... on-method/

It certainly confirms your contention that 7z gives the best compression, but it is at the expense of speed. So I guess it depends which is the most important to you.

Personally I mostly use lzo for the speed although apparently plain old zip beats it(I had never heard of 'zoo' before reading that site!)
MeV

Post by MeV »

I confirm this problem on LMDE 64 bits.
All compress options work, including .tar and .7z, but .tar.7z

All packages listed by mads are installed : p7zip-full, p7zip, file-roller and lzma
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Seems like this is a 64 bit problem only. I hope it get fixed at some point. I will try the other archive format mentioned in this thread. Maybe that's the solution for now. Thanks!

Return to “LMDE Archive”