Multiple flash installs

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
rtrev

Multiple flash installs

Post by rtrev »

I'm using LMDE 64-bit, "Latest" repositories, with Google Chrome (unstable) as the browser.

When I go to about:plugins, it shows me two installations of flash being used.

One is:

/opt/mint-flashplugin-x64/libflashplayer.so

And the other is:

/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

Both of these have the option to disable them, leading me to think that they are, in fact, distinct installs of flash which are both somehow "in use".

Now the puzzling thing is that Google Chrome is supposed to bring along it's *own* copy of flash, but I don't see that one (I think it's usually in the Chrome directory.)

Another odd thing is that in Synaptic it shows the mint-flashplugin-x64 as "Installed local or obsolete".

Can anybody suggest the appropriate course of action here? I don't know if perhaps Chrome no longer ships it's own flash, and I have no idea why there's a mint version of flash, or if it's really obsolete, etc. A bit confused! :wink:

Thanks,
Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Multiple flash installs

Post by wyrdoak »

/usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so

Is were flash works in Chrome amd64 any place else IMHO is just a waste and causing the correct one not to work.

Go here: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer11.html

unpack the libflashplayer.so and replace the one in the above location with the one you downloaded.

then do a system search for libflashplayer.so and replace them all with the one you downloaded or delete the others.

Flash player 11 beta is the only one I've found to work I'm running the latest Chrome 14.
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

Thanks. I didn't even know there was a beta 11 available.

Before you replied, I did try installing the /opt/mint-flashplugin-square/libflashplayer.so and that seems to work with latest Chrome 14 also. All of the other libflashplayer.so files on the system seem to be symbolic links to this one now. Hmm.
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I might still have Window$ on the brain but it seems to me have different versions on the same machine causes a conflict. I just changed them all to the same version not knowing why the other files are there.

Return to “LMDE Archive”