Gtk3 themes in LMDE to fix the "broken themed applications"

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
zerozero

Gtk3 themes in LMDE to fix the "broken themed applications"

Post by zerozero »

This was just a very quick search in dA http://www.deviantart.com/ , and by no means i intend to cover all the options available;

I selected 3 themes, and to be honest was a little surprised how well and easy it was to set them in LMDE (as easy as any gtk2 theme)' for all of them the process is the same: dl the file from dA, unpack and drag and drop the folder to Appearance Preference (i said it was easy :lol: :lol: )

1- AdwaMINTa http://malvescardoso.deviantart.com/art ... %3Apopular gtk3&qo=32
- a minty green theme with gtk2 and gtk3 option, this one, after installed will only appear in controls;
- and you will have to mod it a bit because it defaults to the gnome icons

2- Atolm-gtk3 (a darkish theme) http://thedeviantmars.deviantart.com/ar ... %3Apopular gtk3&qo=1
that white line there apparently disappears with a logout and doesn't come back 8)

3- Elegant Brit Gnome 3 http://grvrulz.deviantart.com/art/Elega ... %3Apopular gtk3&qo=7
well this time something totally different :D

well, there's no reason to complain about bad looking appk, when is this easy to "fix" the issue 8)

what other gtk2/gtk3 themes you know? share them...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karashata

Re: Gtk3 themes in LMDE to fix the "broken themed applicatio

Post by karashata »

I've been using the Zukitwo theme pretty much ever since I started using GNOME 3 with GNOME Shell, it has a GTK2 and GTK3 theme, as well as a GNOME Shell theme for anyone using GNOME Shell.

It's available here on gnome-look.org, or here on DeviantArt.

Note that it requires the new Unico GTK 3 theme engine (currently only supplied by Ubuntu AFAIK), which can be downloaded from here for 64-bit users and here for 32-bit users.

(A further note, the engine is currently at version 0.74, however that version is dependent on a newer version of GTK3 than is supplied by Debian (it depends on GTK 3.1.6, Debian only supplies 3.0.11), so it will not work, but version 0.69 (the version I linked to) has its dependencies met and works fine.)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

H, karashata
yeahh i tried the Zukitwo theme (the three variants) and it is really nice 8)
just didn't included it above exactly because of the dependence on the unico engine

it's not a so clean install, if you know what i mean :lol:
but if Clem decides to pack the engine in the mint repo, ohh yeahh, great
karashata

Post by karashata »

I suppose that's true, having to track down the engine from an Ubuntu repo in order to use a theme isn't generally a good thing... We can only hope the Unico theme engine eventually makes it upstream as a component of GNOME 3 down the road, or as you said, if Clem adds it to the Mint repo...

It *is* a pretty nice theme though, if you're willing to install a currently Ubuntu-only component into a Debian-based system... I have yet to find one I like better that has a matching GNOME Shell theme. Atolm isn't bad, but it's a little too dark for my tastes, and some things just don't look as nice or work as well with full dark themes like that.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I think the problem is that there is nothing for gtk3 themes in the repos.
You have users who expect a certain level of beauty and convenience from Linux Mint, and then they get the gtk3 equivalent of Raleigh (fugly)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jeffreyC, this transition is just happening now, afaik, we have 3 apks unthemed in LMDE: syst-mon, terminal and gcalc;
and anyway we have adwaita already installed, which gives support to both gtk2/3 :lol: yeahh i agree it's not the most gorgeous theme ever, but it's something :mrgreen:
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

I think it has something to do with the "controls" part of the theme for I have one gdk3 theme that seems to work for just about everything but things like the "update manager" but aurora-midnight controls seem not to have broke yet.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Most of what little is available like the unico theme engine and the atolm-xfwm-decorators are for Ubuntu.
Many Debian users do not like to install Ubuntu packages in Debian.
Yes it is early days for gtk3, but it would be good if some more was available for Debian, since gtk3 is in Debian.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

jeffrey, the 3 options in my first post have no *buntu dependences whatsoever, and probably we can find more with time;

actually, autocrosser already did that here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 99#p455206 - it's a mod of the original mint-theme with gtk3 and shell support, and actually it looks quite nice
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Thank you for this thread zerozero. There are some changes with gtk3 now and will be in the future. Good to have an eye on it :)
At first i tried adwaita. But that's nothing for my shiki-wise eyes. I'll try the other themes too you've introduced and keep my eyes
open for alternates.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

@Gerd50, tks for the kind words :)
those are just a few, it's a start, but more will come in the near future.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

about the Unico theme engine i was reading through the debian mailing list and it was already mentioned there, but with little or no enthusiasm
Are there any plans for adding other engines for gtk3 (for example
unico), there is only adwaita which isn't so popular and at least sid
have alot of gtk3 apps which looks bad without gtk3 theme.
On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 11:46 +0200, Rafał Olejnik wrote:
> Are there any plans for adding other engines for gtk3 (for example
> unico), there is only adwaita which isn't so popular and at least sid
> have alot of gtk3 apps which looks bad without gtk3 theme.

By 'not popular', do you mean many people have complained about it?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

On a boring evening like this i was looking round for gtk3 themes, found Zukitwo, installed it + unico engine. Find it quite useable,
reading this thread again and it was already introduced by karashata :)

First reading would have shortened the boring evening :oops: But it's ok for me now, the evening is at it's end and unico theme
engine could be a way into the future :)
Last edited by Gerd50 on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Another nice gtk3 theme is mintliner http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=141466, it has a metacity theme but it's missing a gtk-2.0 theme. You can copy the one from Mint-X into it the results are quite familiar for Mint users.

It uses the Adwaita engine.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Tks cbowman 8)
it's this what you're talking about

the attachment has MintLiner Gtk3 with Mint-X Gtk2 on it, and the result, as cbowman says are very nice
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Tried it another way, i copied the gtk-3.0 folder from MintLiner into the Shiki-Wise folder. The terminal is looking pretty good now :)
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Don't get too comfortable with gtk3

https://www.desktopsummit.org/program/s ... te-toolkit
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this thread served its goal: we have now a gtk2/3 compatible Mint-X theme.
MeV

Post by MeV »

For those who wants to use a dark theme, you should try Atolm-gtk3 (already mentionned in this thread).

It looks like this on my desktop :

I modified the theme a little bit to remove the equinox dependency (which is not available in debian testing) :
http://depositfiles.com/files/00kq5kyob

It also use the WildMint color scheme so You can use it with WildMint window borders and Felicia icon theme.

The only problem I found for the moment is the light background in GTK3 apps. Look at gnome-terminal and gnome-calc in my screenshot.
Maybe there is a way to enhance the GTK3 theme...
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Hey MeV

I downloaded it and I like it a lot. Thanks!
I changed my favorite ORTA theme to it, and like the dark theme very much.

The only thing I would like to see to "mint-ify" it would be to change the "BLUE" highlighted tabs to green.

Does anyone know how to do this.?
Must be something in a configuration file.

I DID change the "colors" = "selected Items" to green in the "customize themes" - "appearances" tab, but this only changes "selected items" (surprise!!) :shock: :lol:

As can be seen in the screenshot below (screensavers folder is the green I changed "selected items" to), but as you can see the highlighted "applications" tabs are the default blue.

All previously locked aps at GTK2 were sucessfully upgraded to GTK3 and look great.
Now we only need to change the blue tabs to green to have a REAL Mint GTK3 theme.
I would do it myself if I knew how?
Really hope to hear back from someone on this... :wink:

Return to “LMDE Archive”