Repos or compile from source?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Repos or compile from source?

Post by DealerMan »

How often do any of you install software from source instead of using available repos? Is there any meaningful benefit (stability, etc)? Just curious.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir, do you have any symptoms? No? Stay away from me anyway. hehehehe
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Repos or compile from source?

Post by 67GTA »

I rarely install from source unless there is something I can't get from the repos, or have to get a newer version. The only downside is that once you install from source (assuming you didn't download malicious software) is that it will not get updates. You will have to manually update everything not installed from the repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

I have installed from source in the past when I used redhat, but
nowadays I can usually find everything I need either in the repos
or find a deb package to install. it's soo much easier!!
civint
Level 3
Level 3

Post by civint »

I generally download from repos, or from downloaded .debs for times sake, as well as the fact that I rareley have all the required software for compiling from source. Also, since we use ubuntu based repos, and I'm not really a major user of apps like emacs, so I don't need the customization offered by source compiling (if I wanted that I would have installed slackware or Gentoo.....)
DealerMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DealerMan »

Excellent responses, thanks everyone. This is helping me to actually understand how & why Linux works the way it does.

Return to “Open Chat”