Debian mint crashes, 42 installs later....

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
specmod1

Debian mint crashes, 42 installs later....

Post by specmod1 »

So far i have installed Linux mint Debian 42 times... due to a crashes in some from or another from the updates

Firefox is damage every time do updates. I click on the icon, Noting happens.

There needs be a recovery mode, or software restore, Linux is doomed without it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
wyrdoak

Re: Debian mint crashes, 42 installs later....

Post by wyrdoak »

I think after the 2nd time I would be wondering if there was something I didn't know or didn't understand. Then ether look or as for help. Flame baiting helps no one.

look here for the help with your install, update and it will also help you understand whats going on.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=76556

or wait for the re spin.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

DrHu

Post by DrHu »

specmod1 wrote:Firefox is damage every time do updates. I click on the icon, Noting happens. There needs be a recovery mode, or software restore, Linux is doomed without it.
  • If an application is causing you problems, and there is another choice availably, try it
    --so Firefox isn't working properly, try opera or chrome for example
  • Research the problem with that application
    --you could have checked for bugs with Debian or with Firefox for the version you get installed, or even searched these forums to see if others had reported similar problems
Obviously 42 reinstalls/fixes is way too much
--don't start with that, instead look around for other options first..
ThistleWeb

Post by ThistleWeb »

Did you check the md5sum of the iso after downloading it to make sure it was identical to the one on the server and not corrupted during the download process? Did you check the media after burning to make sure it burned 100% correctly? I usually don't bother with either if I'm just playing with a distro in live mode, but anything I intend to install, I always do both checks before installing. In live mode you get a feel for what you'll face to get stuff working too. My policy there is if there's major stuff like graphics issues, I don't install, unless I REALLY want to use that distro.

Some distros just don't play well for some folks hardware too. Sidux hates my netbook, yet it apparently works great for plenty of people. I don't doubt them, I just know it hates my netbook, so it's not for me. I certainly wouldn't try to install something 42 times with the same problems over and over. I'm guessing 42 is an exaggeration or a Douglas Adams reference that people missed.

For me, I can accept either human error or some random glitch like the repos having some conflict at the time I updated, or a mirror being partly sync'd etc can destroy an install. I'd accept that two or three times but after that I'd be stopping to research why, specially if it's the same issue every time. Repeating the same experiment over and over and over without any changes hoping that somehow this time it will work is just an insane waste of time and effort. It's not much different from a toddler trying to force the square block in the round hole over and over and over.

The concept of a recovery mode is something I've advocated for a while. One of the newer filesystems has it built in. I'm not sure if it's licensable on Linux or not. Given the vast amount of time difference to backup / wipe and reinstall between Windows (days) and Linux (a couple of hours at most) it understandable that it's a vital tool in Windows, but not so much in Linux. The fact that Windows is prone to a lot more malware issues means it's degradable much easier too. In Linux if you want something you can rely on without all that regular hassle, there's distros like Debian Stable, where updates are well tested and you don't get new versions of applications which potentially break other stuff.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

members fyi ; the OP actually posted a new support topic here about two weeks ago or so, crying that they were banned from the Fedora forums, for complaining too much about the many troubles with their Fedora install ! Yes, started a new topic here ! about there ! about Fedora ! and being banned ! . . .

can't keep their lies straight anymore . . so sad ! :(
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

debian squeeze sucks!
whining there, whining here.

Stevie Wonder could have seen it coming.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Go catch your fish somewhere else
Or better yet get a life
wyrdoak

Post by wyrdoak »

Well I'll know who to look for next time. Seems if the OP would put the energy into a true install, that s/he puts in whining, a smoking system would be the result.

Return to “LMDE Archive”