fm3 preliminary package for testing.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ju1ius

Re: fm3 preliminary package for testing.

Post by ju1ius »

Hi,
The new mint versions of the packages are ready !
Please check the github download pages for gtk-logout and fluxdgmenu, and do not hesitate to open Issues on github !
:wink:

Edit: Fixed download links.
Last edited by ju1ius on Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I just tried the fluxdgmenu download and got

-<Error><Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>1A643F8A2A25A576</RequestId>
<HostId>
vudaA2PGEjEpCNeIXH6cuZXfOkrfM5kqnqDEiHQiAriwOlJVu6qIHMEeDz4koOZg
</HostId>
</Error>
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Yep I gave the wrong URLs... :oops:
Here we go:
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

Those are the same results as before, now I have two gtk-logout debs and still no fluxdgmenu
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

jeffreyC wrote:Those are the same results as before, now I have two gtk-logout debs and still no fluxdgmenu
You mean you can't download the deb ?
Strange... :?
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I tried again now, still access denied.
I see that it is dated today.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

The i386 deb is still access denied.

I can download the amd64 deb but it does me no good.

Also the gtk-logout deb is a lower version number than the one in Kendall's repo ( his will not install due to dependency on a package which does not exist )
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

@ju1ius: I'll rebuild the packages over here and upload them to my repo so you won't have to worry about it. I'll probably get to it sometime tomorrow evening.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

The github issue has to do with the Flash plugin ... :?
Try to disable it and go to the download page. Should work.
Also I've been doing a lot of work on these projects today, so expect a new release soon !
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I am using the Mint-9 Fluxbox edition on my laptop, for a few months now. I really like Fluxbox and Mint-9 LTS.

I had taken the steps, and followed instructions for using the "fluxdgmenu" package/script ... with no problems to note, for these past 2-3 weeks.

I just today, upgraded the Linux-kernel to version 3.0.0

Well . . . after the kernel upgrade.
The fluxbox menu was re-configured to a default fluxbox-menu.
All my menu configs changed; my settings are gone and so are all the menu-icons.

Now, I don't really care about this, as it is, fun to play with and configure the Fluxbox menu.
But, every time I re-boot the laptop ... it reverts back to the default fluxbox-menu configuration.

Again, all my Menu configs and setting are gone.

I don't know if this is a 'fluxdgmenu' script issue or installing the new 3.0.0 kernel? Or a combination of both?

Update: Doesn't even wait for a re-boot ... just reverts back to the default fluxbox-menu whenever, it feels like it should. :cry:
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

vrkalak wrote:I don't know if this is a 'fluxdgmenu' script issue or installing the new 3.0.0 kernel? Or a combination of both?
fluxdgmenu logs events to syslog (usually /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/user.log)
can you post related messages ?
Have you tried to reinstall the package ?
vrkalak wrote:Update: Doesn't even wait for a re-boot ... just reverts back to the default fluxbox-menu whenever, it feels like it should
What do you call the "default fluxbox menu" ?
The one that is generated after a fresh fluxbox install ?
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Regarding gtk-logout, I plan on using it as the default in the upcoming Mint Fluxbox release. Since python-imaging is included by default, I'm setting it to 50% forced pseudo opacity by default, and it looks killer with the default icon theme. Also I'm putting in a different logo, something that has the whole "Linux Mint, from freedom came elegance" thing. Great work on it.
jeffreyC

Post by jeffreyC »

I disabled Flash and still cannot download the i386 deb. Access Denied.

With or without Flash disabled I can download the amd64 deb but I cannot use it.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

ju1ius wrote:fluxdgmenu logs events to syslog (usually /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/user.log)
can you post related messages ?
Have you tried to reinstall the package ?
I checked all the suggested "/logs" ... there is no reference or messages about fluxbox-menu in any of them.

I have not tried re-installing ... I have taken to trying to 'fix' everything myself. Re-install is a last resort.
ju1ius wrote: What do you call the "default fluxbox menu" ?
The one that is generated after a fresh fluxbox install ?
Yes, the default menu you would get from a 'fresh' install.

In the ~/.fluxbox/fluxbox-menu script there are instructions on how to "use your own menu" ... didn't work.

Code: Select all

# to use your own menu, copy this to ~/.fluxbox/menu, then edit
# ~/.fluxbox/init and change the session.menuFile path to ~/.fluxbox/menu 
This is not really a problem, as the default fluxbox-menu is very nice and functional.

It's just annoying, that I cannot re-configure the fluxbox-menu to my liking and needs.
That was one of the things, that drew me to the Fluxbox WM in the first place.
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Hi !
v0.2 just released !
The main new feature is the "Recently Used Files" menu:
  • The number of items displayed is customizable (defaults to 20).
  • If python-gobject is installed, icons are guessed from mime-types.
  • "Clear List" menu item to clear the history.
Fluxdgmenu now has support for several backends for DesktopFile parsing (currently python-gmenu and python-xdg).
If python-gmenu is present it will be used by default (10* speed improvement!), otherwise it will fallback to python-xdg.

More translations...

A submenu with commands to regenerate the menu manually, with a zenity progressbar thingy, if available...

And that's pretty much it.
Ah yes, I got rid of the mint-specific branch. Maintaining to branches for such little differencies was just a waste of time.

The code is still here, the wiki and the debs too.

And now I'm going to the beach...
Tchüß!
itoffshore

Post by itoffshore »

I think there may be some issues with detecting the current working directory on systems with encrypted partitions. I have crypted volumes for /home & /root & now get errors on uninstalling fluxdgmenu such as:

sh: 0: getcwd() failed: No such file or directory
& files are installed to /home/root/.fluxbox instead of the user's home. Consequently desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications are not added to /home/root/.fluxbox/fluxdgmenu/applications

Running fxm-daemon update gives:

fxm-daemon update
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/fxm-daemon", line 101, in <module>
    daemon.update(options)
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/daemon.py", line 47, in update
    fp.write(menu.parse_menu_file(config.MENU_FILE))
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/applications.py", line 21, in parse_menu_file
    output = "".join( self.directory(root) )
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/applications.py", line 33, in directory
    yield self.submenu(child, level)
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/applications.py", line 41, in submenu
    submenu = "".join( self.directory(entry, level+1) )
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/applications.py", line 35, in directory
    yield self.application(child, level)
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/applications.py", line 56, in application
    icon = self.find_icon(entry.get_icon()) if self.show_icons else ''
  File "/usr/lib/fluxdgmenu/fxm/base.py", line 92, in find_icon
    return self.lookup_default_icon().encode('utf-8')
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'encode'
Pointing the fluxbox menu to include /home/root/.fluxbox/fluxdgmenu/applications gives the correct menu entires for /usr/share/applications but is missing entires from ~/.local/share/applications.
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

Hey guys,

I've been an avid XFCE user for awhile now, and I have only recently started toying with Fluxbox. I added it on top of my #!XFCE install and have been customizing it. I don't really like the default Fluxbox menu, but using Kendall's fm3, I have my menu looking like I want it to. Question, though. Kendall, are you going to be using your fm3 app or will you be using ju1ius's fluxdgmenu app in your roll of LM Fluxbox? They do the same thing, right? Just want to make sure that I am not missing something here. Thanks.

Also, does fm3 have icons in the menus? If not, will it? If it's supposed to already, mine doesn't. What do I do about that?

I've still got a lot of things to learn about Fluxbox, but I'm getting there. I'm a huge XFCE fan, and I haven't decided yet if Fluxbox will contend for the title of my favorite DE/WM. But it's got a lot going for it.

mikhou
mikhou

Post by mikhou »

ju1ius,

I'm having one issue with gtk-logout. All of the buttons work except for the logoff button. I unremarked the logout command for Fluxbox, but it just flashes back to the desktop. BTW, I am running Fluxbox over a #! XFCE install using GDM as the login manager.

mikhou
ju1ius

Post by ju1ius »

Hi there,

I finally got some time to work on all this stuff !
I completely revamped fluxdgmenu into a new project called... uxdgmenu.
Like UniversalXDGMenu ! :mrgreen:
The main feature is that it supports virtually any window manager that manages menus with text files !
So far I only tested in fluxbox, blackbox, openbox and awesome, but there are formatters for windowmaker, ion3, icewm, fvwm2, pekwm and twm, and anyone can add more through plugins.
There's also:
* a GTK menu widget which replicates the menu structure (usefull for window managers that don't support includes or pipemenus)
* a GTK gui for tweaking the configuration, starting/stopping the daemon and manually updating menus
* and others smaller technical improvements...

So as always if you feel like it, the source is here and there are some debs, and a wiki... :wink:

mikhou wrote:I'm having one issue with gtk-logout. All of the buttons work except for the logoff button. I unremarked the logout command for Fluxbox, but it just flashes back to the desktop. BTW, I am running Fluxbox over a #! XFCE install using GDM as the login manager.
Did you solve this ?
If you're using gdm you can always call gdmflexiserver. It doesn't close the session but brings you back to the login screen, so you can shutdown/reboot from here.

Return to “Software & Applications”