(Solved) LMDE Grub Issue

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
ghostdawg

(Solved) LMDE Grub Issue

Post by ghostdawg »

I have Mageia linux installed on /dev/sda1, LMDE on /dev/sda2 & swap on /dev/sda3. I was using Mageia's grub on MBR, as the main bootloader. Within the past few days of updates, LMDE grub has taken over as the main bootloader and when I choose Mageia from it, I get an error that Mageia's partition is not found during booting and then everything locks up with the keyboard lights blinking.

How is it if Mageia's bootloader was suppose to be the default bootloader, that LMDE Grub has taken over MBR? LMDE's kernel is version 2.6.32-5-686.

I had this issue earlier and I ended up reinstalling Mageia Linux because I want to use it's grub as the main bootloader. Mageia is using old Grub1 while LMDE uses Grub2.

Any idea how I can fix this problem? If I can get LMDE to add Mageia to its grub, it would be okay also.

Thnx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Willemuk

Re: LMDE Grub Issue

Post by Willemuk »

I had a simulair problem and sudo update-grub did work for me.
ghostdawg

Re: LMDE Grub Issue

Post by ghostdawg »

I actually wanted Mageia's grub as default, which I've gotten working by running the chroot command and then run grub-install command.

Thnx for the reply.
ghostdawg

Re: (Solved) LMDE Grub Issue

Post by ghostdawg »

This is solved but I would like to know is there a way to stop LMDE from updating grub when a new kernel is included?

I also have Mageia Linux installed and want to use its grub as the main bootloader, and whenever LMDE updates its kernel, it updates grub, which takes over the bootloader. For some reason, lmde will not boot Mageia's partition.

Thnx.
zerozero

Re: (Solved) LMDE Grub Issue

Post by zerozero »

i believe you can do this in 2 different ways, it's your call:

1- install LMDE's grub in the partition (sda2) and Mageia's in the MBR, this way when LMDE updates its grub it won't overwrite the MBR, choosing this way you have to add LMDE to Mageia's grub1 as you already did before;

2- if you choose to use LMDE's grub2 as the bootloader in MBR, you are going to face that issue between grub1/grub2, the best way i know to solve this is here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=72634 (it refers to PCLOS, but i believe the same applies to Mageia)

Return to “LMDE Archive”