OpenBox Pipe Menus

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dawgdoc

OpenBox Pipe Menus

Post by dawgdoc »

I read a couple of articles on TechRepublic by Marco Fioretti re: pipe menus used for more than just accessing applications. The first showed four or his favorites; imap mailbox checker, current month calendar, weather forecast, and system monitor. The article also contained links to a site with additional menu scripts. The second contained instructions on writing your own pipe menus for Fluxbox, Blackbox, OpenBox, etc. I have not used Mint's Xfce, but I guess this applies to it and the LXDE edition as well as the FluxBox edition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: OpenBox Pipe Menus

Post by MALsPa »

I saw that article, too, and so I added the system monitor pipe menu here in Openbox in Lucid. Cool stuff! I don't see Fluxbox mentioned in the 2nd article, though.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

The mention of Fluxbox was in the article and from the wording I extrapolated it to the second article.
My favourite solution for this type of problem is to run some descendant of the Blackbox window manager like Fluxbox or Openbox, properly equipped with a tool that is, in my opinion, really cool and made on purpose to answer the question above: pipe menus. Therefore, here I will explain what pipe menus are and show, as real world examples, the four ones I like the best. I will do this with Openbox, but the rest of this post is valid with little or no modifications for its cousins too.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

dawgdoc wrote:
I will do this with Openbox, but the rest of this post is valid with little or no modifications for its cousins too.
Thanks, dawgdoc, I did miss that. I would like to try the system monitor pipe menu in Fluxbox.

Return to “Scripts & Bash”