Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
telenux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE (gnome and xfce) new isos up for testing

Post by telenux »

I installed from this:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

Shortly after installing, I did the update and dist-upgrade and tried to install splix drivers for my printer. But, I got the 'mint-x-theme' issue and couldnt' install the splix driver as the attempted procedure failed. I also had a problem when trying to install another application.

Basically, I cannot find a solution so I probably have no other option but to either re-install or try something else.

I'm not so sure I agree with it being a disk drive issue. That really shouldn't effect the package management or database. I don't see how, anyway.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

telenux wrote:Shortly after installing, I did the update and dist-upgrade and tried to install splix drivers for my printer.
Right, so you've updated the system using the Debian repos, ergo you were using potentially untested-by-Mint packages straight from Debian. This could be the source of your problem, but it may not be. If you do happen to re-install, I'd seriously consider immediately switching to one of the newer LMDE semi-frozen repos and updating from there. If you still have issues (and have ruled out hardware problems), then you have more reason to point the finger at Mint.
telenux wrote:Basically, I cannot find a solution so I probably have no other option but to either re-install or try something else.
Check my reply to your other thread. It may or may not help solve the problem.
telenux wrote:I'm not so sure I agree with it being a disk drive issue. That really shouldn't effect the package management or database. I don't see how, anyway.
The database is stored on the disk, so I think the health of your disk is rather important actually ;)
LifeInTheGrey
Level 3
Level 3

Post by LifeInTheGrey »

telenux wrote:I installed from this:

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

Shortly after installing, I did the update and dist-upgrade and tried to install splix drivers for my printer. But, I got the 'mint-x-theme' issue and couldnt' install the splix driver as the attempted procedure failed. I also had a problem when trying to install another application.
I have a system that is based off of the new "Mint Latest" repo, and this is fantastically stable. I do not have splix because I have an hp printer (which came with the drivers, but I'm pretty surprised it did not come with hplip for my scanner; a quick apt-get solved that), however I decided to see if I could replicate your installation problems.

tony-laptop tony # apt-get install splix
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed:
splix
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 127 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,011 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/ testing/main splix amd64 2.0.0+svn293-1 [127 kB]
Fetched 127 kB in 0s (201 kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package splix.
(Reading database ... 164781 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking splix (from .../splix_2.0.0+svn293-1_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up splix (2.0.0+svn293-1) ...
tony-laptop tony #

Installed without a problem. I believe the issue you're having is that you are attempting to update from the original ISO using the Debian Testing repo, as the poster above mentioned. This is completely understandable, as the way that LMDE runs at the core has changed substantially since that release, however with a new ISO release I don't believe you will encounter that problem. Currently the new ISOs are in the testing phase, so we should see those soon enough, and then you can install LMDE without hassle.

If you DO want to update from the old ISO (which is a pretty massive update) to the current stable LMDE setup, I have done it several times and can provide assistance if you wish.
the beauty of linux is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as you want it to go.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I think of trying to help testing the new LMDE Gnome 32-bit ISO a little. (I've been a SW-tester so I know that there might be problems..)
I will make a regular install on an USB-stick for testing purpose :wink:
But where can I download the latest ISO aimed for release-testing?? :?
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

tux-sven, i'm afraid you can't at this moment test the iso's, they are (as all Mint releases) internally tested first;

Btw the 64bit xfce is also up for testing http://community.linuxmint.com/iso/view/81
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I understand it is not aimed for everyone, but I want to be helpful to the Mint-team - in case of spare time. :wink:
How could I else contribute to the internal testing? :roll:
thermodynamics4

Post by thermodynamics4 »

tux-sven wrote:I understand it is not aimed for everyone, but I want to be helpful to the Mint-team - in case of spare time. :wink:
give hem an iso guys, hihih. I'm the one who wants it... Damn, I'll wait...
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

thermodynamics4 wrote:
tux-sven wrote:I understand it is not aimed for everyone, but I want to be helpful to the Mint-team - in case of spare time. :wink:
What's so funny? I've actually worked as a test-leader, performing integration- and system testing for 7 years - in a big telecom company. We where testing tecnical management-systems, running on a Solaris-platform. Don't you think I know what I'm doing? :wink:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Hi tux-sven, your testing experience is most welcome. You could switch to LMDE. As you can read in this recent blog post http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1781 for LMDE there will be a monthly testing cycle of the update packs. It explains how to get involved on that, and I think all testing on that is welcome. I think there was also a community or forum post on this, though I can't find it right now.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

tux-sven wrote:What's so funny? I've actually worked as a test-leader, performing integration- and system testing for 7 years - in a big telecom company. We where testing tecnical management-systems, running on a Solaris-platform. Don't you think I know what I'm doing? :wink:
If you really want to be involved I'm sure that you could personally ask Clem if you can join the internal ISO testing team. I don't know what the normal requirements are to be a part of that though.
thermodynamics4

tux-sven wrote:
thermodynamics4 wrote:
What's so funny? I've actually worked as a test-leader, performing integration- and system testing for 7 years - in a big telecom company. We where testing tecnical management-systems, running on a Solaris-platform. Don't you think I know what I'm doing? :wink:
Hello, the funny thing is that I want to install the new re-spins but doesn't happen. Just keep waiting... About your skills I believe the team can have a place for you to help in. Good luck man, people that really want to help always get a chance to do it. I don't have the skills yet to do it, but later on, I hope I can...
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the first iso's were rejected and new ones are ready to be tested, specially the new installer and a non-pae-kernel (486)
http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

the 4 new iso's are being tested atm,http://community.linuxmint.com/iso and i'm glad to report :D that tux-sven is now one of the testers 8)
thermodynamics4

zerozero wrote:the 4 new iso's are being tested atm,http://community.linuxmint.com/iso and I'm glad to report :D that tux-sven is now one of the testers 8)

Really nice, I saw that hes doing comments on this. Cool.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

zerozero wrote:tux-sven is now one of the testers 8)
See, how hard was that? ;)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

well, good news, the 4 iso's were approved for rc as tdockery announced here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=79217

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

This might be a bug:

The new xfce iso doesn't seem to like the btrfs file system so better stick with ext4. Tried btrfs and it hang on boot, had to re-install and go ext4
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

aljoriz wrote:This might be a bug:

The new xfce iso doesn't seem to like the btrfs file system so better stick with ext4. Tried btrfs and it hang on boot, had to re-install and go ext4
I think so. I'm quite sure btrfs still doesn't have a fsck tool so it won't really work out-of-the-box. In this case it's obviously better to remove that option from the installer.

Return to “LMDE Archive”