Is there such a thing as a 'mini-mint' distro?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robert.thompson

Is there such a thing as a 'mini-mint' distro?

Post by robert.thompson »

Hello:

Is there a Mint minimal distro or a way to create one?

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Is there such a thing as a 'mini-mint' distro?

Post by xenopeek »

Minimal as in requiring less CPU/memory to run, or minimal as in requiring less diskspace for installation?
robert.thompson

Hi:

Minimal as in requiring less CPU/memory to run. (Older PC running XP)

The user only has dial-up.

He knows nothing about linux so, after the install, I will help him by using Teamviewer, if that works.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

Not a "mini-Mint' perse ... but we do have a couple light-weight versions.

Have a look-see at Mint-9 Fluxbox, Mint-11 LXDE

Both Fluxbox and LXDE are pretty light on resources and very fast.
The LTS (long-term support) version of either is very stable and still supported for another 2 years.
robert.thompson

Thank you. :)
galen

Post by galen »

be sure to disable mintupdate for it will be too bandwidth heavy for a slow connection.
itlarson

Post by itlarson »

Since i'm writing this from a 1400mhz Pentium M laptop with 1/2 g of RAM, I feel qualified to say that if Windows XP is running on the machine, standard Mint will run on it just fine. I have found Mint Xfce to be faster, but it is based on Debian testing, and thus in nowhere as stable as the Ubuntu based main version. Hopefully this will change once the new "latest" repositories are more mature, but for now inexperienced users should stick to the main version. Just be sure to install the "flash block" plugin in Firefox, since Flash is the one thing that can bring a slower machine to it's knees- so much so, that you might think you are back in XP.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

If the computer has at least 512 MB of RAM, you can run normal Mint on it. Without internet connection, you can install gnome-ppp from the Software Manager and with that program you can dial-up.

Some dial-up modems, mainly laptop modems, need the Softlink driver to work - if you are connected to internet you can download that driver from the Additional Drivers program.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
kerykeion

Post by kerykeion »

Currently using Linux Mint 10 LXDE on an old Sempron machine, seems to run great :D And this is my first post ever.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”