VLC and the screensaver on LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
terdon

Re: VLC and the screensaver on LMDE

Post by terdon »

That's fine, just create a ~/xsessionrc file and paste the relevant line there.
drdavidk

Post by drdavidk »

Perhaps the problem is that the version of VLC in the LMDE repo is 1.1.3, which among other things doesn't have all the latest codecs. I removed it via Synaptic and installed version 1.1.5, which I downloaded from http://packages.debian.org/experimental/vlc. It resolved some problems I was having, though I'm not sure about the screensaver issue.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

@terdon, yu de man! Please excuse me if i don't mark the issue as resolved, i think it is up to the OP to do so, but it is so [SOLVED] for me.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
slyski

Post by slyski »

Since using ubuntu style distros and now on my shiny new install of LMDE I've had troubles with gnome-screensaver. I always have replaced it with xscreensaver and found it works 99.999999% of the time. I have used it on my mythbuntu installs the past 3 yrs and never had a problem with my wife using it and that counts the most :D . It seems to be working and playing nice with vlc on my LMDE so far.

My 2pennys
slyski
paro1991

Post by paro1991 »

using vlc 1.1.5 experimental and no dice. hope they fix this issue soon

edit: also tested it with xscreensaver after removing gnome-screensaver and still hasn't worked for me
autumncorvus

Post by autumncorvus »

I'd also REALLY like a fix for this, I sorely miss my VLC.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

Er, sorry @terdon, but that /xsessionrc thing doesn't work now, and having to nudge the mouse in the middle of a thriller or action sequence really sucks.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I have noticed this in the case of at least two bug like features of Linux on all forums..not just the Mint forum..the developers, and advanced users deliberately turn a blind eye, and imply by their silence that the problems experienced must have been the result of the usual, idiotic mistakes that the new user must have randomly made. They will not even deign to explain if the problem was upstream or otherwise, nor venture any suggestion.
Cases in point are this one, and the one about the erratic mouse behaviour that develops over time.
I know that beggars like me can't be choosers, but please, do be forthright about addressing these issues.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

Does anyone know if the screensaver problem is going to be fixed in any of the future versions of VLC? Someone in this thread said it was fixed in 1.1.5, but when 1.1.7 came to testing I was still having the problem.
damnated

Post by damnated »

Any news on this? I'm currently using the newest, 1.1.10, version and this bug is still there, did anybody figure out a workaround for this?
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

Just use caffeine, have it autostart on login and add vlc to the list of programmes to disable the screensaver for

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
dbkblk

Post by dbkblk »

Like all of you, i experienced this bug. The workaround i have found is to disable the screensaver in the gnome preferences. To balance this, i've told the power manager to switch off the screen around 5min of inactivity.

VLC only have a problem with the screensaver, not with power manager. However, with this setup, you cannot ask gnome to ask you a password when the PC is on again.

EDIT: I have already read what you said about caffeine. As you insist, i'll try it ;)
Last edited by dbkblk on Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

And again: caffeine. It automatically deactivates the screensaver when vlc is running - and only then. (that is if you don't add other stuff to the list). There's an Ubuntu ppa for it and the karmic version works fine on Debian

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Return to “LMDE Archive”