Hard disk

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Hard disk

Post by kenwood1995 »

I have Daryna installed and was using the Gnome desktop and could see my other hard disk (hda1) ,which has XP on it, and it was on my desktop and I could navigate to it. I had a problem with one of my Ham Radio programs, Xastir, and when I asked for help on that forum I was told it looked as though my window manager was causing the problem. I didn't know how to change window managers so I switched to KDE desktop and my Ham Radio software is ok but I no longer see or can not access my other drive, (hda1). My question is how do i get it back, or else how do I switch window managers if I go back to Gnome desktop.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Hard disk

Post by 67GTA »

How did you switch window managers? If you installed KDE from the repos, then uninstall it the same way. When you log in there should be a "sessions" button. Click on it and choose Gnome.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenwood1995 »

I can get to Gnome at the login as you say, but my question is, how do I change to a different window manager under Gnome?
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenwood1995 »

Let me try it this way.
I have 2 hard drives, one has Linux Mint 4.0 and the other has XP.
In linux I use KDE desktop and I can't see or find my other hard disk.
How?
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I'm confused. Are you talking about viewing mounted hard drives while using KDE?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenwood1995 »

Yes, that's it exactly.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Is the hard drive listed in /etc/fstab? If so, it should be mounted at boot, and should show up in Storage Media in the menu. You can show mounted drives on the desktop by selecting the options in Kcontrol (control center). Look under DESKTOP>BEHAVIOR> and then under the device tab.
kenwood1995
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kenwood1995 »

Not a Linux guru here, having too many problems with different software programs
so have gone back to Celena 3.1 where everything works.
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

kenwood1995 wrote:Not a Linux guru here, having too many problems with different software programs so have gone back to Celena 3.1 where everything works.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, Celena 3.1 is a great release. Maybe the next release will be more compatible with your hardware/software, and in the mean time, you can enjoy Celena.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”