MintUpdate-Debian - is it now safe to use?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2

MintUpdate-Debian is it safe to use

what is MintUpdate-Debian?
24%
use it since day 1 and trust "him"
49%
is not bad, but misses (see my post...)
5%
tried it, but nahh, went back to the cli/synaptic
22%
i miss the old one!!
1%

Total votes: 140

zerozero

MintUpdate-Debian - is it now safe to use?

Post by zerozero »

With the new Update-Packs we got as well a new Update Tool in LMDE (MintUpdate-Debian);
As the name tries to show, it's finally a proper port of the Mint update tool to the debian-based systems;

- are you using it?
- what is your experience with it?

share the good, the bad and ugly :lol: about MU-debian
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
msuggs

Re: MintUpdate-Debian - is it now safe to use?

Post by msuggs »

Works just fine for me
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

Not using it. I don't think it is a good idea to do full-upgrade/dist-upgrade with x running. At least it should be avoided when there are upgrades to the graphics system.
I always update using smxi from a console.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I have been using an original version of LMDE 201012 . . . later upgraded the repros to mint-debian-testing 'incoming'

Followed directions for upgrading the Mint-Update App to MintUpdate-Debian . . . not had any problems it the new Update App, at all.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I've been having zero problems with the "Debian way", and I can have full control of how often I update. I've just gotten so used to it during the past year that it has become where my comfort zone is.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
GeneC

Post by GeneC »

Using "synaptic" :P

Old habits die hard.
I find nothing "wrong" with the new MintUpdate-Debian and do use it on occasion.
I just feel I get more information through Synaptic.

Its an improvement over the old MintUpdate.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I voted for "tried it and went back to synaptic/cli" but that is a lie actually, as I didn't even try it, but there is no option for that :lol:
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

MU-Debian is a good thing for those who don't want update every week, using the "latest" repo.

This might be a bug:
on the MintUpdate-Debian I went to Edit>Preferences>Ignored packages
I added kexec-tools to the list of ignored packages and it was installed :lol:

this was on a fresh install again of the last LMDE ISO. thankfully the new server helped alot although the waiting time to install the updates was a bit amusing.
yaye

Post by yaye »

I haven't had to reinstall LMDE since I installed it in January. I saw warning about the original version of Mint Update and used Synaptic instead. I've now switched to "Incoming" and I'm using the new Mint Update. When in doubt, I run Synaptic to get a "second opinion" before doing an update. I haven't had any problems since using the new Mint Update and it makes it easy to add packages to the ignore list.
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

I installed LMDE in October last year and never had to reinstall it. As long as Squeeze was in freeze i used mintupdate but changed
to the cli method when Wheezy became testing. I tried MU-debian for some days but couldn't get warm with it. I'm used in the
cli method now and prefer it, because with my damn slow connection it's better not having too large updates.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

Gerd50 wrote:... because with my damn slow connection it's better not having too large updates.
Do you know about debdelta? It saves a lot of time with those big packages like libreoffice (and even with not so big ones).
rtrev

Post by rtrev »

It's worked fine for me, since the update pack idea was implemented. Prior to that I used command line.

I like to fire up Synaptic from time to time to find out what's now become "Local or obsolete", and so on. My impression is that the new MU is a handy tool which works well, but probably Synaptic needs to be kept around since it has all the extras.

One thing I've never figured out about MU is why it includes the option for "Backports." Isn't this concept completely meaningless with a rolling distro?
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

secipolla wrote:

Do you know about debdelta? It saves a lot of time with those big packages like libreoffice (and even with not so big ones).
Yes i do and it is installed :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

let's see: i always had issues with the old MU, and showed that several times here in the board.
with the update-packs and MU-debian, i made the switch to incoming, and was a pleasant surprise:
- no levels (finally!!!)
- the update-pack info button;
- the update defaulted to dist-upgrade;
i was comfortable using it. but thn i got bored and decided to come back to testing, and here i feel "safer" with the cli (no particular reason, honestly, maybe just habit).
bikrus

Post by bikrus »

Hi!
I use "latest" repo, 39-2-686-pae kernel, XFCE, MU-debian and mostly comfortable with it. But...

Critical for me:
- Even if "Source code" checked under "Edit -> Software Sources -> LinuxMint Software" sometime Changelog point me to check this option without information about update.
- There are no option to set auto install security fixes. I configured my second PC to apply security fixes automatically (that PC uses ubuntu). I can't find same option in MU.

Just a question about MU:
- I am planning to install LMDE on my second PC. But I don't shure is MU fully compatible with apt-get, which I use now on other ubuntu PC through console to update that system. Is the "apt-get -f install; apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade" the same what MU did? Or, what set of commands should I use to be fully independent from MU in console?

PS:
- I often use synaptic to get more information about package, especially about installed files. This is my lack of apt knowledge.
- I use MU-debian, not MU which is present in package list also. I don't know is it correct, because I use "latest" repo.
gavinhc

Post by gavinhc »

I have been using the new MintUpdate-Debian in the same way I used the old one. I keep it running and use it to check for new updates. Then actually install them with a "apt-get dist-upgrade".
rkdb

Post by rkdb »

Have used it from day 1 as guinea pig (incoming) and I am bored since I switched from apt-get to mintupdatge-debian.
have never used the old mu in LMDE.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

Just tried the new M-U to see what it would do. It looks like it gives identical results as the CL update && dist-upgrade. I didn't go through the upgrades one by one, but both CL and M-U give the same number of upgrades (215), new installs (13) and removals (1) -- on my (not much customized) LMDE install. If the new M-U is just a gui for update && dist-upgrade, then which to use is just subjective preference. Anyone know if M-U is doing anything more or different from the CL?

Regards,
feffer
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feffer »

zombie wrote:Not using it. I don't think it is a good idea to do full-upgrade/dist-upgrade with x running. At least it should be avoided when there are upgrades to the graphics system.
I always update using smxi from a console.
Maybe this needs a new thread, but I'm wondering about this. As one who used the "distro formerly known as Sidux" for a number of years, I'm used to dropping into a text-only run-level, doing the update and dist-upgrade, then restarting X. This was stressed as the "right way" to do it for the same reason that zombie uses smxi -- it avoids complications from upgrading a running graphical desktop.

I accept that this works, however what about the many linux distros that DO upgrade in the gui? For that matter, what about Windows and Mac? They also upgrade from the gui. I think (but do not know for sure) that all these "gui upgrade systems" don't actually install those sensitive upgrades until they are restarted. In linux that is true for kernel upgrades and some other things. If that's the case, I don't really see any problem with that approach.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

i believe that (drop out of X to update) is over-complicating, but is only my opinion;
you don't have that option (afaik) in arch, nor in chakra (arch-based) and kernel and graphics drivers are upgraded with x running. sure pacman tells us something in those lines (specially when updating graphic drivers): the driver is in use, you have to logout or drop out of x to load the new driver ( i can past the exact warning here next time i get a driver upgrade in chakra- won't be long)

back in the topic, updating though MU-debian (from my experience) and doing dist-upgrade is the same - and this is one of MU-debian's great innovations.

Return to “LMDE Archive”