Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2. Linux Mint 11 LXDE New features at a glance: The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default The Update Manager Performance boosts Improved dependencies handling [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1793
dawgdoc

Re: Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2 released!

Post by dawgdoc »

Way to go Clem, Kendall, and Shane.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

The Mint team is very fast in supplying fixes when they are needed. Way to go!

P.S. I'm still happily using rc1 :mrgreen:
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
thebeav64

Post by thebeav64 »

Love it, keep up the great work. Works flawlessly on my Lenovo X60.
Juanfelipeds

Post by Juanfelipeds »

How can I install lxde in my linux mint 11?... actually I'm using gnome in my desktop, but I would like to prove them...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can install lxde from the repository and then, on the bottom of the login screen when entering your password, click the arrow next to 'Gnome' and choose LXDE.
That way you get a default LXDE and not a Minty LXDE. But it should give a good impression of what the desktop has to offer. You'll be amazed by its speed.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
pianonut

Post by pianonut »

Wonderful new release. I was about to give up on XFCE linuxmint debian since I couldn't install tools I likesuch as qiv and gnumeric.
Now they install beautifully ... and FAST.
ramashk

Post by ramashk »

Hello my friends,
I want to know when will be LM 11 LXDE final realese? :)
Thanks for answers.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Within a few weeks, if there do not appear major problems.
Flekain

Post by Flekain »

Shouldn't you update the links provided here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=79 and http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=80 ?
That's still the RC1 links I think
drb

Post by drb »

Just loaded Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2 on my Dell Latitude C610 laptop. A few small problems to iron out, but overall all I can say is AWESOME!

I have previously used SuSE, Debian, Gentoo, Mephis, and back to Gentoo, and now Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2. This has been the most painless install yet.

Darrell
zohall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zohall »

very good
weiyan

Post by weiyan »

AlbertP wrote:You can install lxde from the repository and then, on the bottom of the login screen when entering your password, click the arrow next to 'Gnome' and choose LXDE.
That way you get a default LXDE and not a Minty LXDE. But it should give a good impression of what the desktop has to offer. You'll be amazed by its speed.
Thank you!

Installed lxde but no option to choose Gnome or LXDE. I have to setup LXDE as login default to use this wonderful desktop.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The option is there: after clicking your name, there's 'Gnome' or 'LXDE' at the bottom of the screen (NOT the bottom of the login window). You can click the arrow next to it, and choose another one.
digitalcrow

Post by digitalcrow »

I've installed linux mint debian about 2 days ago and i couldn't believe to my eyes !
I really never have imagined how fast it would be and how easy !
Its the only distro i like so much !
I have configure everything from nvidia drivers etc very easily . Its speed is something unique.
Its the king.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Sorry but this topic is not about LM Debian but about the release candidate of the 11 LXDE version.
Mike White

Post by Mike White »

At this moment I'm working on Acer AX1700 desktop 4/750 GB, Windows 7 OS, right from LiveCD of Linux Mint 11 LXDE RC2.
What unusual do I observe?
1) closed rectangles, some of which are black, gray or filled with flipped and fragmented symbols of the screen. These rectangles usually disappear when scrolling the page or by clicking Start menu button.
2) The same with "brokenness" of characters in horizontal line.
3) message
[JavaScript Application]
Error: An invalid or illigal string was specified.
4) While opening Internet page in a New Tab I get many of them "Browser can't find the server"
5) Perodically Auto eth0 comes to disconnected status and I repeatedly <Enable Networking>.

Approximately the same time I tested LiveCD/DVDs of Linux Mint 10 KDE, Linux Mint 10 LXDE, Linux Mint Xfce (201104), Linux Mint 11 “Katya”, Linux Mint Debian (201012) on the same computer. None of these 5 events took place.

I am completely new to computer world, using Linux Mint Live Media as a shield for my desktop from Internet Malware. I don't have experience of using installed Linux: don't know where to start with. I am disabled and wish Linux Mint to have a multilanguage On-Screen Keyboard on LiveCD/DVD (similar to Windows 7 osk). Hope one day to install Linux Mint on the same computer.
You do a great job for "the rest of us".
Yours, Mike White.
ukbrian

Post by ukbrian »

I just installed for the second time and decided to do a video of the proccess.
I think the mint installer is one of the best but i do wish they would take the time to add a field to the screen form to enable you to set the label of a partition!

I find that fstab is much more readable when labels are used instead of sd? or UUID.

I have been unable to use the 2.6.39 kernel in LMDE or Xfce as the mic when used on skype, audacity or sound recorder made me sound like donald duck.

I recently downloaded AVLinux and used Openshot on it to edit this video.
It uses the 2.6.39 kernel and I was surprised to find that audacity and skype worked perfectly.
A possible reason is that it uses Alsa not Pulse which is a shame as i do like the control Pulse gives you.

Video of installing Lxde:
Streaming video http://lin.me.uk/vids/00-lxde-install-01-all.avi
Download from http://lin.me.uk/vids/00-lxde-install-01-all.avi.tar.gz

Tomorrow I'll have a look at the Lxde desktop and see how versatile it is tho I doubt I'll find a versatile space saving panel launcher as in Xfce
http://lin.me.uk/vids/xfce-000.mpeg

Truth be told I think what it does should be done by making customized versions of the existing menu but I haven't found a decent menu editor yet.This is the sort of thing I'm looking for if anyone knows where it exists I would be very gratefull.
http://lin.me.uk/vids/desktop-01.avi

Is it possible to craft this into Lxde?
ukbrian
Sinnfrage

Post by Sinnfrage »

Excellent work! A lot of people would like to see Pinta instead of Gimp in the lxde version. I think it is far more intuitive and easier to use for beginners, especially when you are used to win-programms such as Paint. Gimp is a powerfull yet heavy programm which should stick with the main edition.

Another recommendation: Change the title bar font of the windows to "FreeSans", Bold, 10pt!
This looks just sooo mucht better!!! :D
How-old!
Level 2
Level 2

Post by How-old! »

Nice release, just a couple of points and a question.
1. Boot splash - inconsequential whether there's just dots, logo+dots or something more exotic, but this one just has a black screen! SiS Mirage 1 chipset; otherwise, performs perfectly.
2. Logitech Mouseman Wheel and 4D Browser UP mice don't display pointer after installation during log-in. Worked fine on liveCD.
Presently using Xfce9 on daily basis for several machines. How difficult would it be to transfer to LXDE 11? Didn't anticipate sad issues encountered by Merlwiz.
More:
Can't seem to find how to change screen resolution in LXDE? Did I ask about this before? Recall having this problem previously.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”