Linux Mint 11 LXDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 11 LXDE released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 11 LXDE. Linux Mint 11 LXDE New features at a glance: The Software Manager UI improvements New splash screen Fonts category More accurate package information More application icons by default More accurate search by default The Update Manager Performance boosts Improved dependencies handling Better [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1802
SimonTS

Re: Linux Mint 11 LXDE released!

Post by SimonTS »

Yippee!! Now that's next weekend accounted for... :mrgreen:
deleted

Post by deleted »

Nice!!!
malligt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malligt »

The "Print-to-Pdf in your home folder" produces blank pages. Was caught in the RC testing....but not fixed?
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Great! This makes my day. :D

Thank you, developers!
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Sinnfrage

Post by Sinnfrage »

malligt wrote:The "Print-to-Pdf in your home folder" produces blank pages. Was caught in the RC testing....but not fixed?
That's really annoying. I would appreciate it if you could fix the pdf printing option very soon!
RHTopics
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RHTopics »

How many upgrade packages must be installed to bring it up to date?
Ratbags

Post by Ratbags »

I "heart" this release. After setting up some launchers on the taskbar and sizing it, it doesn't look much different than the Gnome version on my old Pentium IV Presario with stock video and just 1G of RAM, but opens and runs everything way faster. I added Libre Office, Asunder, and Songbird. Abiword still is a good quick writer to keep on the desktop. I'd been torn between this and LMDE after using LM10, but I tend to like fresh installs over rolling 'cos nothing ever runs better. PCMan gets super bonus kudos for the "bookmarks" tab because it allows for faster navigation when mounting my data partitions. Prior to this I used a Puppy Lucid 5.25 CD on this machine for more speed or if Sound-Juicer failed.

LM has taken care of my biggest gripe with Ubuntu; convenient access to Root User so I don't have to be repeatedly told everything I do is prohibited when I'm browsing other partitions. Has this driven others crazy who keep their data somewhere besides /home or is it just me?
brent

Post by brent »

hey love the mint have a few issues tho seems 2 b incredibly hard 2 put my portable drive contents in the place where i want it any ideas eg music in the music folder videos etc off my portable usb hard drive
brent

Post by brent »

find it very hard 2 move media around in mint thought it would b my safe haven 4 files and documents but been very
hard 2 put stuff on esp from portable hard drives
brent

Post by brent »

2 b honest more bugs than a thai hotel
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

brent wrote:2 b honest more bugs than a thai hotel
To be honest, you're simply incapable. Not only in grammar and spelling, but also in computer usage. PEBKAC.

Tips:
- write normally, using normal grammar and spelling;
- post your support questions where they belong, i.e. in the relevant part of the support forum, and not in a release announcement thread;
- don't badmouth the distro or otherwise p*** off the guys who might want to help you, but ask politely if someone would be willing to take the trouble to help you with your simple beginner's problems.
- don't expect to be helped within a mere 17 minutes (the time span between your first and your third posting). We're all volunteers here.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
brent

Post by brent »

thanks pjak turns out was a bad install, reinstalled and it even updates now can u run yur spellchecker ova this 4 me wee fulla cheers
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

I really would have liked to give LXDE a try. I bought an old P3 850 laptop with 256M at a garage sale for $5.00. The battery is in good shape and it was loaded with Win XP (YUCK). Slow as hell, but everything, including the DVD works. Unfortunately, I got all the way through the install until the final phase of cleaning up files and the install crapped out. I'm sure 256M isn't enough memory for the install, even if it is plenty to actually run LXDE. So, those of you with old hardware--BEWARE--Mint 11 LXDE is not for you unless you have more than 256M of RAM. The problem is, I'm certain, that the install can ONLY be started after the live version of LXDE is booted. I'm sure of this because Xubuntu installed with zero problems after the Mint fail because I started the the Xubuntu install from the Grub menu before the live distro loaded, after it had failed when attempted from the desktop, too. Xubuntu runs well on this old hardware, btw.

I would suggest that the LXDE development crew consider adding the option of installing from the Grub menu, because it is a waste for a low-resource distro to require more RAM for the install that it does to actually, you know, run. Screenshots look pretty, though.
jacksbutler

Post by jacksbutler »

Hi there, just downloaded and installed on my Dell Inspiron 1545 with no problems at all. As far as I can judge this is about perfect. Even the power management seems to be very good. Printer works just fine. I took Firefox off as it seems to have become rather bloated and slow. I replaced it with Chrome and Epiphany, both of which work just fine. Great job guys and thanks :D
buntu

Post by buntu »

brent wrote:2 b honest more bugs than a thai hotel
:mrgreen: :P :lol: :twisted:
buntu

Post by buntu »

Reddog1 wrote: I bought an old P3 850 laptop with 256M
WoW...that 'thing' still works :?:
haji

Post by haji »

bravoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :D
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Question withdrawn.
Last edited by libssd on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

buntu wrote:
Reddog1 wrote: I bought an old P3 850 laptop with 256M
WoW...that 'thing' still works :?:
Yup. It's kinda fun to take an old POS and turn it into a reasonably useful machine by installing Linux. A buddy had a stick of laptop memory lying around and I upped the old 850 to 320 megs. LXDE installed without a hitch and it isn't bad for casual surfing and email. It is faster than an old P233 laptop with 128 Megs with Puppy installed, that I bought for $1 (!) about 4 years ago. And the battery is in better shape, too. Of course, my Dell netbook runs circles around them both, but for the price I can't complain--cheap entertainment, you know.

I still stand by my suggestion that the Mint LXDE developers consider a Grub install option so that 256 Megs will suffice.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”