No suspend with kernel 2.6.39 and 3.0.0

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
peterih

No suspend with kernel 2.6.39 and 3.0.0

Post by peterih »

Got those new kernels with dist-upgrade and when I boot those there is no suspend when I close the lid on the laptop.
So I'm using 2.6.38 and suspend works with no problems.

Any ideas on what to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: No suspend with kernel 2.6.39 and 3.0.0

Post by tdockery97 »

It sounds like there is a hardware incompatibility with those two newer kernels. There is absolutely no disadvantage in staying with a kernel that works well for you. There are not usually any earthshaking improvements in a newer kernel, and there can be cases where functionality for certain hardware functions is dropped as obsolete.

You can always try the next point release when the new kernel updates come in and see if things are working for you again. Otherwise, I would just stay with the 2.6.38.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
peterih

Post by peterih »

I know I can happily keep using kernel 2.6.38, but I wanted to report this because I think there is a bug somewhere if my hardware is considered to be obsolete. This is a laptop from 2009.
peterih

Post by peterih »

This is still a bug after UP4 and kernel 3.2.
Running pm-suspend simply crashed the system and it has to start up from scratch.
Suspend works with 2.6.38 and I could stay with that. However, newer kernels seem to make my laptop run cooler.

Return to “LMDE Archive”