Theme Brainstorming for Gnome3

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
cbowman57

Re: Theme Brainstorming for Gnome3

Post by cbowman57 »

Well you do fantastic work. There are other shell themes on DeviantART, half-left or whatever he calls himself has a gallery there. There search feature makes them hard to find though, I prefer gnomelook.org when I'm looking for something but I check out DeviantArtevery once in awhile because there are some surprises.

This project is going to be complete though, that's part of what will make it stand out. Right now I think about the only complete sets I know of is Atolm.

You shouldn't be so modest Sam, this theme is above & beyond what's out there. When Andrew comes back off vacation you can bet it will be featured on Webupd8, and that will generate some buzz.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Ya half-left does some fantastic work, so does padster, I actually created one of my first metacity themes from one of padster's that I forked, it was one of the first ones I learnt about tiling properly from, xml was easy but there were a few things I didn't know in the beginning. Then I just create templates from then on in on my own and use them now, I'll be making a template for the shell two once I get it totally finished and tweak all the bugs out of it..
I got an invite tonight from the gnome-shell group to display the steampunk in their group, I guess thats half-left's group, he gives some great tips in that group zero gave me the link when I started making this theme, it helped in a few areas. Thanks for the compliment but honestly it has nothing to do with modesty or anything like that I just enjoy creating stuff and if someone else likes it and can use it then its all good, if not then I just enjoy making them :D autocrosser also made a complete set thats a nice theme for the mint, only one strange minor bug in it when you use right click, first time I ever saw that one and don't know what is causing it or I would give him the fix for it, other then that its a great theme. As far as getting the buzz that really doesn't matter to me, if it does it does if it don't it don't its all good :D
Heres the next project once this one is complete if you want to dig in for another gtk :lol:
It'll be called Heavy Metal , color scheme will be black, greys, blues, maybe some touches of orange, red, yellow for burning metal in some parts ( hopefully I can create some sparks when the buttons click on pressed that shouldn't be too tricky ). Scratched metal with bolts maybe some rusty parts, metal bars, metal chains etc etc, also I want to create a dock for each theme, I might see if its possible to recreate the animations with the dock for more different effects if thats possible, right now Im using cairo, so I might have to install avant to see what I can do with that one also, that way it will be a completed set (as well as an icon package, which I keep leaving out for good reason, too many images to create) but I guess it has to be done eventually :lol:
Some more fat to chew on :lol:
Can't sleep again (I suffer from insomina big time) so back to themeing I go, have a good one
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

You & me both.

I usually gravitate to dark themes, this one is a bit of an exception. Yeah, can't wait to see your next one(s). :)
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

San, finally is featured in the Gnome-shell group in dA (i don't know why it took so long)
your work deserves the best recognition possible 8) it's just amazing :D :D
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Thanks zero
I don't even know who invited me but hopefully I can contribute some stuff to the group.
secipolla

Post by secipolla »

cbowman57 wrote:secipolla, what icon set are you using & how did you get that dusty look in Adwaita?

Looks very nice BTW, I rather like the background.
The GTK3 theme is Drakfire-Caffe. I deleted some spurious files that were left inside, corrected the index.theme file and added the Human Brown GTK2 theme. Then I renamed it to Caffe-Brown. You can get it at http://www.sendspace.com/file/ov9u22 (after 30 days of no downloads it's deleted).
The GTK2 brown doesn't match the GTK3 one but then it's just something to start with. If you want to use it somewhere you could tweak the GTK2 theme to match more closely the GTK3 theme and launch it as a Drakfire-Caffe GTK3/2 theme (with the due credits to the original GTK3 theme author) or something different.
The icon theme is the mentioned Buuf ( http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... tent=81153 ).
The background is a colourized Fedora background: http://postimage.org/image/vyaqpbz8/
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

samriggs wrote: I don't even know who invited me but hopefully I can contribute some stuff to the group.
let's say i know the guy very very well :lol: :lol: and yes you will give great stuff to the group
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Take it it was half-left, he makes great themes :)
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

It's taken me 18 years but I'm finally rubbing cyber-elbows with the l33t. :)

@ secipolla, very cool,thanks for the description and the link, I've found that I'm capable of colorizing gtk-2. The rest I'll leave to the masters.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

With too much time on my hands, and limited talent, I spent some time on Sam's top & bottom tile images which I will attach for anyone interested in looking at them. The names of the colors are a little subjective but I was trying to match some colors in the Victorian color schemes.

Included:
  • Original (Default)
    Maroon
    Gold
    Grape
    Eggplant
extra-topbottomtiles.tar.gz
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

If you don't mind cbowman57, is it alright if I add these in the download package?
Just figure it might be good to give everyone the choice to choose there own for that bar in the metacity.
Just wish I could get transparencies in the metacity file that would solve this issue.
Let me know and I will add it in the package once completed with a quick tutorial on how to change it.
Sam
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Of course Sam, sounds like a good idea. Make sure you look at them first though. :)

Also been playing with fonts a little too.
fonts.png
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Wha' happened? Seems to have died in here. :)

I was fooling around with Sabayon the other day, it totally corrupted my partition table for my trouble. So I had to start over, I had backups but they were on the same physical drive. I corrected that, added another 1TB Seagate, slowly getting things back in order.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Sorry to hear that
I keep an external 1 tb to back up everything just in case.
I have 5 computers backed up on it, well mine gets back ups usually twice a month so mine filling it up the most :lol:
Still plugging away at it, and took a break over the weekend while I try and quit smoking :shock:
Got the gtk2 almost done then trying to figure out what is what is the gtk3 and which way to add all these images to match the gtk2 and the colors.
I switched from your gtk to Atolm's because it had all the images pretty much where I already wanted them with few minor changes, and some add ons, just a lot more work involved in it now because of the move, I am keeping the same color scheme and dropped it in both the gtk's that you had, it just saves me a lot of work reworking the adding pixmaps all over the place in code.
The gtk2 is old hat for me and pretty simple, css is pretty simple, how css works with gtk3 a bit different, and how to make it look the same and work the same as gtk2 a bit challenging for me for the first time around.
Once I have this one done though I will probably keep it as a template and use it from now on.
Glad you got your puter back and running again.
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Thanks Sam, really looking forward to seeing it when you get it all done.

Good luck kicking the smokes, I need to do that too, but not today. :)
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Well still trying to quit smoking and still plowing away at the theme, I pretty much have it done now, just tweaking it all over the place right now to get it to somewhat what I want, I usually don't get my way 100% with my themes anyhow.
Anyhow I thought I would try and add something to the background in the activities mode, thought I would share it and ask what ya think or should it be changed, I got a better idea for this with the heavy metal one I have in mind, also I am going to try and frame the words windows, applications, themes so it looks like its part of this metal bar with gears.
Here it be so far
Screenshot-11.png
I got the gtk all finished also, just tweaking it more, as I went overboard in some areas in the same color tone, I have to make it more different from each other to stand out more, so hopefully soon I'll have this finished.
Sam
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Looking good Sam, thanks for the update.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Alrighty the whole thing is done, still needs some more tweaking, but for the most part it is done.
Here is an image of the mess.
newdeskscreenshot.png
It can be downloaded at http://samriggs.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d45x2o9
Sam
cbowman57

Post by cbowman57 »

Looks pretty good to me. Really like what you did with the gtk.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

this mess :lol: is looking pretty good, sam 8)
i see that stop smoking makes wonders :lol:

Return to “LMDE Archive”