Thunderbird 5 in LMDE

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Thunderbird 5 in LMDE

Post by Roken »

kmb42vt wrote: Question: does you're method create a new Thunderbird profile within the '/home/thunderbird/thunderbird' directory or does it still use the default one created in '~/.mozilla'? For myself I have separate Firefox and Thunderbird profiles in one single folder located in my /home directory and just drag them around from distro to distro. :D

No - it uses the same profile. I have two separate TB profiles, I run one as normal and one with the -no-remote parameter, and I can use either profile with either TB simply by changing the path to TB. The same applies to FF. Extract and run with the fully qualified path, and it will still use your normal profile.
Kernel Linux Tex 5.12.14-zen1-1-zen, XFCE
Arch
Dual GTX1070 8Gb
AMD Ryzen 1800X
32Gb RAM
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

mfs wrote:Hi folks,

I just noticed that, while firefox is at a recent version (5.0) in the linuxmint LMDE repository, thunderbird is some versions behind (3.1.7 vs. 5.0). As the version from the ppa:mozilla-team/thunderbird-stable natty did not work for me, I would like to ask the LMDE repository maintainers kindly to add thunderbird in its recent version to the LMDE repository.

Maybe some of you support this plea?

mfs.
Unfortunately, Ubuntu PPA's for the most part do not work with LMDE and adding a repository the way you tried only works with Ubuntu/Linux Mint and only with the last couple of versions. Thunderbird and Firefox are actually part of the Linux Mint/LMDE repositories and I expect Thunderbird to eventually be updated to the latest version soon enough. The problem, I would imagine, lies in too much to do and not enough developers to do it all. Once the new LMDE respin is released then the new version of Thunderbird will probably be added via an update shortly thereafter. Those kind of updates are independent of the monthly update packs.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Roken wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: Question: does you're method create a new Thunderbird profile within the '/home/thunderbird/thunderbird' directory or does it still use the default one created in '~/.mozilla'? For myself I have separate Firefox and Thunderbird profiles in one single folder located in my /home directory and just drag them around from distro to distro. :D

No - it uses the same profile. I have two separate TB profiles, I run one as normal and one with the -no-remote parameter, and I can use either profile with either TB simply by changing the path to TB. The same applies to FF. Extract and run with the fully qualified path, and it will still use your normal profile.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “LMDE Archive”