grub brakes after every upgrade

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
santiagorf

grub brakes after every upgrade

Post by santiagorf »

Hi all,
I've installed LMDE 32 bits two days ago and, since then, I have lost my grub twice giving the following error when I boot:

Code: Select all

grub_divmod64_full

It seems that this error occurs every time I run:

sudo apt-get update  && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Does anyone how to avoid this error?
If any relevant info is needed, please let me know. My knowledge of grub/boot is null; thus, I have no idea what info might be relevant.

Thanks!!
santiagorf

If someone has the same problem, the grub can be easily recovered from here:
http://opensource-sidh.blogspot.com/201 ... tu-cd.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: grub brakes after every upgrade

Post by xenopeek »

Hi, is the full error you are getting "symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full"? And do you perhaps dual-boot with Windows?

Depending on that, the http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1735231 thread has some possible solutions. There it is suggested a software update for grub-pc package might not have installed correctly, and the solution would be to purge it and reinstall it. The HOWTO for that is at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

This would work 1-on-1 if you used the Ubuntu based version of Linux Mint. So take care to with doing this on LMDE.
santiagorf

Post by santiagorf »

Thanks Vincent for the HOWTO. I think it helped (I'll wait a few days to see if still works before I change subject to solved) .
I'll try to explain as faithful as possible what I did.
I followed the HOWTO up to step 2 (where I had to run 'apt-get update'). After the update it said something like the grub update wasn't complete and that I needed to run

sudo dpkg --configure -a
After I run the command, a screen splashed asking me to choose where to install grub.
I choose both '/dev/sda' and '/dev/sda1' as I wasn't sure (and /dev/sda2 is the swap).

I remember that in the my first update I saw the same screen and that I chose one directory for the grub (and I think it was /dev/sda1). It might be possible that I have chosen the wrong one and that in every update was installing grub in that location?

santiagorf
pd:
I have installed only LMDE in my computer. The the complete error message I was getting when rebooting after update:

symbol not found: grub_divmod64_full
Entering rescue mode
grub rescue>
My partition is

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *        2048   310532095   155265024   83  Linux
/dev/sda2       310532096   312580095     1024000   82  Linux swap / Solaris
titohal

Post by titohal »

I experienced the same problem too. My grub had the same problem 3 times after 3 different upgrades. I thought it would be fixed with the new LMDE update manager, but I had to reinstall grub from a live CD just this morning. The process is quite simple but it's annoying to do it every 2 months...

I checked my update history and the 3 crashes had something in common: kernel related updates (linux-headers, linux-image...). I don't know wheter it's related or not but perhaps some of you know about it. I'd thank you any information you can give me.

Btw, I'm using the 64 bit version. I don't know whether it's the same in 32 bit version.
mike.balut

Post by mike.balut »

this keeps happening to me, too...actually just today again. The fix is easy. I am on 64 buit too....

I just wonder, my setup is on /dev/sdb3 that's causing the problem? I just don't know how to fix it.
mads

Post by mads »

I always choose /dev/sda (and not /dev/sda1 2 3 etc) or /dev/sdb (and not /dev/sdb1 2 3 etc). I am running two systems.
Dual-boot LMDE (32-bit) and WinXP, triple-boot LMDE (64-bit), Vista and Win7. I've never had issues with Grub, so I'm sure
it must be related to where you choose to install grub.

Return to “LMDE Archive”