LMDE 201108 RC (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

LMDE 201108 RC (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by clem »

LMDE 201108 Gnome The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201108 RC with updated ISOs for Gnome and Xfce. Highlights All Linux Mint 11 features Installer improvements (keyboard variants, locale, bug fixes, UUID in fstab) Update Packs, dedicated Update Manager and staged repositories GTK2/GTK3 theme compatibility Updated software and packages If you’re [...]
Announcement: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1807
sgtguthrie

Re: LMDE 201108 RC (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by sgtguthrie »

Is the Gnome version properly mounting partitions now? I tried installing a couple days ago and they weren't recognized. I couldn't mount any partitions except the ones made during my install of LMDE.
ayeguru

Post by ayeguru »

same question for me

Thanks
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

ayeguru wrote:same question for me

Thanks
Go to /etc/fstab and delete anything marked as "none" (or place a # in front of it).

Reboot, and they should work fine...
mockturtl

Post by mockturtl »

The installer stalls during partition selection (new virtualbox instance), instead of launching gparted. Once I create the partition table, everything proceeds OK. (Do you prefer RC bug reports through launchpad?)

edit: see also http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 26#p462623

It looks fantastic, though! I never did figure out which album cover you used for the slideshow in katya... :P
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

sgtguthrie wrote:Is the Gnome version properly mounting partitions now? I tried installing a couple days ago and they weren't recognized. I couldn't mount any partitions except the ones made during my install of LMDE.
Are those EXT3/4 or NTFS partitions?
sgtguthrie

Post by sgtguthrie »

randomizer wrote:
sgtguthrie wrote:Is the Gnome version properly mounting partitions now? I tried installing a couple days ago and they weren't recognized. I couldn't mount any partitions except the ones made during my install of LMDE.
Are those EXT3/4 or NTFS partitions?
Both ext4 and ntfs...
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Well you should be able to mount them through Nautilus or terminal, but NTFS partitions will require elevated privileges. If you try to mount them what errors do you get?
ajt007

Post by ajt007 »

Clem,
The gnome desktop works 100% for me. Everything. No problems. I think this is the best LMDE to date. :D In my opinion it is no longer necessary to be based on anything but Debian. I have been hoping for this and here it is. Thank's everyone. :) As a user I'm very happy for Linux Mint and myself. I'm running the 32-bit on a 64-bit box.
friTTe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friTTe »

Omg must have missed this, reallt glad to see more and more stuff based on Debian.
Cant go wrong with the updated update manager more updated towards Debian.
unknowhero

Post by unknowhero »

the live dvd mount my ntfs partition fine, but the installed OS not...
I will try this

Code: Select all

Go to /etc/fstab and delete anything marked as "none" (or place a # in front of it)
sorry about my english, I'm a native spanish speaker
manny

[Solved]Re: LMDE 201108 RC (Gnome & Xfce) released!

Post by manny »

Solved partitions problems, I can see them all now. Fonts are working good and partially solved Flash audio Player. Thanks for your assistance.

randomizer wrote:Well you should be able to mount them through Nautilus or terminal, but NTFS partitions will require elevated privileges. If you try to mount them what errors do you get?
randomizer, I'm new to LMDE, thanks for the information on how to mount partitions, finally I managed to moutn my 3 ext4 ones, what else do I need to do to mount the NTFS one I have?

Since you appear to be more familiar with LMDE I have 2 other "issues" I would like to resolve. I installed the nvidia drivers which are working now, find a scrip to improve the rendering of the fonts, they are not bad but not at par with main edition. Any suggestions on how to equal the fonts on LM main?

Mi other question is flash audio players, it appears there is a problem on 24 bit OS, I'm getting an annoying pounding. Sound is fine on Youtube and playing audio CD. Any fixes?

I'm very pleased what I'm seeing so far on LMDE and I would love switching to it as soon I have those "issues" resolved.

Thanks
Last edited by manny on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

manny wrote:randomizer, I'm new to LMDE, thanks for the information on how to mount partitions, finally I managed to moutn my 3 ext4 ones, what else do I need to do to mount the NTFS one I have?
They should mount the same way via Nautilus, but you will be required to enter your password (see this "bug").
manny wrote:Since you appear to be more familiar with LMDE I have 2 other "issues" I would like to resolve. I installed the nvidia drivers which are working now, find a scrip to improve the rendering of the fonts, they are not bad but not at par with main edition. Any suggestions on how to equal the fonts on LM main?
I thought this was already corrected by porting the Ubutnu font-related patches to LMDE. They're in the Mint repos after all. I'm not sure what needs to be changed then...
manny wrote:Mi other question is flash audio players, it appears there is a problem on 24 bit OS, I'm getting an annoying pounding. Sound is fine on Youtube and playing audio CD. Any fixes?
Youtube is Flash, so I'm not sure why other players would be causing this issue. I do think that the 32-bit Flash is a lot better than the 64-bit Flash though, especially for fullscreen video.
Capeman

Post by Capeman »

Up and running with 64 bit LMDE 201108 RC on a 64 bit system. Easiest install ever. It just worked out of the box. Very fast boot. Linux at it's best.
Thanks Clem.
chris_debian

Post by chris_debian »

Great to see this release. I downloaded the 32-bit Xfce image and unfortunately it doesn't work 'out of the box' for me, because X config fails and I get an 'out of scan range' error on my monitor. It would be nice to have a text based installer as this would enable me to do the install, reboot and then configure Xorg from within the newly installed environment.

Thanks to the developers and any others involved.

Chris.
manny

Post by manny »

randomizer, about the fonts I followed the instruction on this link http://omnsproject.org/?p=651 and the difference is amazing. About the Flash I run the command "sudo update-alternatives --auto libflashplayer.so" described on the "known problems" the sound works OK but not when using a flash player like in shoutcast or a radio station that uses flash as a player, it is fine on video/audio flash streams. Nautilus didn't see at all any other partitions, nothing till I edited "/etc/fstab" but in that file didn't show the NTFS partition at all. Besides that, LMDE is very nice and heading to the top.

Thanks

randomizer wrote:
manny wrote:randomizer, I'm new to LMDE, thanks for the information on how to mount partitions, finally I managed to moutn my 3 ext4 ones, what else do I need to do to mount the NTFS one I have?
They should mount the same way via Nautilus, but you will be required to enter your password (see this "bug").
manny wrote:Since you appear to be more familiar with LMDE I have 2 other "issues" I would like to resolve. I installed the nvidia drivers which are working now, find a scrip to improve the rendering of the fonts, they are not bad but not at par with main edition. Any suggestions on how to equal the fonts on LM main?
I thought this was already corrected by porting the Ubutnu font-related patches to LMDE. They're in the Mint repos after all. I'm not sure what needs to be changed then...
manny wrote:Mi other question is flash audio players, it appears there is a problem on 24 bit OS, I'm getting an annoying pounding. Sound is fine on Youtube and playing audio CD. Any fixes?
Youtube is Flash, so I'm not sure why other players would be causing this issue. I do think that the 32-bit Flash is a lot better than the 64-bit Flash though, especially for fullscreen video.
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

randomizer wrote:Youtube is Flash
Not necessarily.
OrthoSteven

Post by OrthoSteven »

Got my 64-bit LMDE up and running on Virtualbox tonight, thanks to folks pointing the partition stall issue / fix and the flash bug, they had me stumped for a bit. I little strange running my LMDE VM on my LM11 desktop, sort of like looking into a mirror. Now the tough part, which to make my long term desktop?

Great job!
/dev/urandom

Post by /dev/urandom »

As a long-term desktop, LMDE is probably the better choice, as it is rolling ... :)
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

/dev/urandom wrote:Not necessarily.
I figured that it was fairly safe to assume that he/she wasn't part of the HTML5 trial.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”